Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Player

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Stipt, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Stipt

Stipt

Oct 3, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey whats up, this is a wicked website I must say and just what I'm looking for. Now I was wondering what kinda technique was most common and easy to play, as I watch Les play he uses a slap method, picks, and also the two finger with the index/middle. Which is best for starting out? Also, does anyone have the scales of a bass neck? I have no IDEA, that shows how new I am! LoL! Well anyways, *thinks* hmmm...what else do I have to ask. oh and when holding down the strings what note does it play. :D Thanks all, hope I get a reply sometime soon!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I just kind of missed your post. When starting out on bass, I would highly recommend taking a few lessons with a good teacher (not necessarily the best bassist). Using proper technique can save you years of working in the wrong direction, developing bad (and painful) habits, etc.

Mike