new bass player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrueDude16, Mar 15, 2010.

1. CrueDude16

CrueDude16

Mar 15, 2010
    i want to get a bass but am short on cash. what are some good cheap brands?

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Go to rondomusic.com. Don't come much cheaper, but they are generally pretty good basses. I've owned three...still have one.

3. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Hi CrueDude. Welcome to TB.

IMHO, cheap basses/brands are not "good" products; at best they are fair.

What is your budget for a bass and what about an amplifier?

4. simonsaysred

simonsaysred

Aug 23, 2009
    Portland, OR
    SX are decent for the price

5. CrueDude16

CrueDude16

Mar 15, 2010
    i can spend about 150-200. as far as an amp goes i was just gonna get the bass first then the amp later

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Under 100 - SX SX SX!
    Under 300 - Squier VM!

7. easyrider13

easyrider13

Feb 17, 2010
    You can find an Ibanez SR300 in that range.

8. Peavey makes some good cheap basses too. You can also find the older USA Peavey Foundations/Dyna Basses/Fury's..etc on Ebay any day of the week, and they're as good as anything out there at least 2-3 times their price.

9. CG Jones

CG Jones

Mar 9, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1 on the Peavey.

My first setup was the Zodiac stage pack (don't laugh!), which was a decent enough setup so that I could find out if I wanted to stick with the bass or not. Standard "stage pack" setup, with small practice amp.

I don't think Peavey produces the Zodiac pack anymore, but some stores may still have it in stock.

I still play the Zodiac on occasion, just for practice, but the 15W amp makes a good beer stand. :)

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Cruedude if in fact you are a Motley Crue fan you might be able to score a used Epiphone Thunderbird for $200.

11. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    For that price, if you want new I'd go with SX. Great reputation around here for bang-for-the-buck. I've heard there's the occasional lemon in the bunch but Rondo music is great about taking back any bad ones.

I'd really recommend used though. You'll get more for your money, and there are plenty of used basses out there in this price range that could pass for new anyway. Some of the Peaveys are really good, there are some Yamahas and Ibanez's (sorry, you'll need to ask someone else on which ones). My personal favorites are the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified lines. With a little looking you can find one of those for $200, or sometimes even a bit less.

12. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    +1 on peavey. you can get peaveys that are killer at a steal and theyre truly a higher end instrument than most in that range

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021