Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass!!! Pollmann Venezia

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Peter Ferretti, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    My new Pollmann!

http://lemurmusic.com/aspbass/135PollmannVenezia/135PollmannVenezia-ft.jpg
    http://lemurmusic.com/aspbass/135PollmannVenezia/135PollmannVenezia-bk.jpg
    http://lemurmusic.com/aspbass/135PollmannVenezia/135PollmannVenezia-sc.jpg
    http://lemurmusic.com/aspbass/135PollmannVenezia/135PollmannVenezia-fh.jpg
    http://lemurmusic.com/aspbass/135PollmannVenezia/135PollmannVenezia-si.jpg

Just got my new bass from Lemur. It is the Pollmann Venezia that won the ISB Award. I've had a couple hours playing on it, and man it blows everything I played except for the Guy Cole bass at Robertsons away, but I just didn't adapt to the cole the way I did the Pollmann.

I walked into Lemur with the idea that all Pollmann's distort the Price/Value ratio, and they arn't worth their weight in wood, and that held true for the Pollmann's I played, EXCEPT for this one. I picked it up, and went through Kuss, Dragonetti, a few other peices, and totally forgot the maker. I just got lost in the bass and the music, the room filled with an amazing sound, and I new the bass was for me. Everytime I pick up the bass now, that same feeling comes back to me.

As good as the sound is, the craftsmanship matches, or may even pass it. The ISB award that it won was for craftsmanship, and I really dig the way it looks. Its got this really cool squiggle motif goin on that really works for the bass.

All in all, this bass was the best fit for me. It was the best for a mix of classical and jazz, and solo. I love it, and I am pretty sure that it will stand the test of time. ::hyper:

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    whoa, that bass is awesome. very nice looking wood and judging from your excitement the sound is just as nice.

what is that in the middle of the top plate, is it branded or something?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's a looker, for sure!

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    That would be a hand-crafted rosette.

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Great-looking bass, Peter - Congratulations.

6. :cool:
    Wow that IS beautiful. All the little details are quite nice. I especially like the F-holes. That bass is a keeper...really one-of-a-kind.

congrats...

gomez

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is the rosette functional, that is to say is it carved and open to the body cavity or is it decorative and only applied to the front?

It's a beautiful bass, I love the pegbox and tuners, the flame of the back.

I picked it up,...and totally forgot the maker. I just got lost in the bass and the music, the room filled with an amazing sound, and I knew the bass was for me. That's EXACTLY how you're supposed to pick a bass.

8. Hubba Hubba

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Paul's in the bathroom. He'll be out for comment shortly.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...unless he ran out of paper towels, in which case it could be awhile.

Nice looking mistress you've got there, Peter. Enjoy the honeymoon!

11. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Peter;

:smug:

How can you sleep or eat, or anything else? How do you have time to post a message and take pictures? That is a cool looking bass. Just beautiful.

How does it feel to be in love?
    Walt MI/US

12. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

...get a bigger bed!!!

'perdy fiddle, looks edible

13. Great Bass... you sound very pleased with it.

According to your profile you are a younger player... is this your first "love"? You never forget the first instrument you really connect with. For me it was an old Kay plywood... how times have changed.

I live here in Germany and know Michael Kramher quite well. In fact, I had been in his shop when he was building your Bass. I never heard it played but I know alot of effort and attention to the smallest of details was put into the construction of that instrument and I know he was very happy with how it turned out. I will see Michael in a few weeks and let him know about you.

In the meantime, enjoy playing your new baby.... it's a keeper.

Jason

14. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I remember that bass well from ISB... the workmanship and antiquing is bar none. Congratulations!

15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think you are mistaken, as the bass in question was built by Ralph Krahmer, not Michael.

16. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I'm not a DB player, but that thing gave me GAS sunthin fierce.

17. Arnold... you are probably correct on Ralph building the Bass. I did see it in the shop in Mittenwald (maybe there are more than one of these?). I will ask Michael next month when I see him.

Jason

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That is without a doubt one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen. Just the combination of things I love from mine (albeit FAR less awesome) and the kinds of things I'd WANT in my own. Beautiful f-holes.

EDIT: Ed, if you look carefully in the second-last picture, it looks like the rosette is purely decorative.

19. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That rosette is a relief-carved emblem... it doesn't go all the way through, but it isn't a sticker either.

20. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I was under the impression it's carved right through the top. Ralph explained to me how he spent an entire day cutting out the rosette by hand with a fretsaw.