1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Pre Ernie Ball Stingray (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MD Stingray, Apr 14, 2010.

1. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    I posted a topic recently about having the choice between two Pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays.
    However, after trying both several times, It hit me that I was not making rational decisions.
    The basses actually did not sound very well.
    On top of that one had several modifications (not very well done), and one had a neck issue and horrible "mojo"? (not in the right places).
    Maybe they were Frankenstein Ray's I dunno, but It just did not feel right, so no deal.

Then today I ran into this baby...
    Two words : Per-Fect!
    Serial Number B006713, not sure what year (77-78?)

View attachment 164027 View attachment 164032

Had to trade in 2 (nice) basses (taking loss) to buy this one....:bag:

In time I'll forgive myself.....ahhh there you go, I just did.

2. Wow, that thing looks cherry.:eek:

3. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Holy crap!

Has it ever even been played?

NICE SCORE!!!

\m/

4. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Wow.

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Wow...Its looks like it was kept in closet for 30 years.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Nice score! By the Serial # I believe it's a 1977.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Beautiful!
    Late 77, possibly early 78. You'd have to remove the neck for the date stamps.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    This is THE perfect StingRay IMO.

2-Band EQ
    Natural/Maple
    Black Pickguard

Awesome!!!

9. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    Is there any risk in removing the neck?

10. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    looks beautiful...what is the sound difference if it's possible to describe?

11. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    I wouldn't do it... the serial number date is good enough.

That neck probably hasn't been removed in the 30+ years that bass has been in existence, so why break that perfectly locked seal of goody goodness?

I watched an episode of Antiques Roadshow where a guy took the neck off an early 60's strat and you could hear the subtle *snap* of that tight seal being broken... I cringed.

12. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    :eek: horror

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw that too. It was tough to watch.

Nice bass score.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Sweet!!! Now you gotta go here.......http://musicmanbass.org/

Here's what it says about some of the serial numbers that have been submitted. Yours falls somewhere in the middle of this pack.....

B006501..Advertised as 1977. Natural with Maple. Black pg. Serial on neck plate. Weight 10lbs 7ozs.
    B006510..Described as a 1978 or 1979. Walnut with Maple. Serial on neck plate. 3 bolt neck. Strings through body. Encircled "R" on headstock logo. Red interior case.
    B006559..Neck and Body both Jan 1978. Initials "JS" in neck pocket. Pots date to 1976. Sunburst with Maple. Black pg. Two piece body. Weight 9lbs 6ozs. Pickup cavity is routed for older PUPs (with longer pole pieces) but newer PUP with shorter pole pieces fitted. Encircled "R" on headstock logo.
    B006579..Neck 31 Mar 1978. Natural with Maple. Black pg. Non-original thumb rest above E string. Serial on neck plate.
    B006607..1977. Natural Refin with Maple. White pg. Black PUP.
    B006632..Neck March 1978. Body Jan 1978. Bass pot is code-dated 33rd week of 1977.Black with Maple. Black pg. Serial on neck plate. Pre-amp has 3 violet leadouts to treble pot.
    B006633..1977. Natural with Maple. Black pg. Encircled "R" on headstock logo. Teardrop case.
    B006637..Body 31 Jan 1978. Neck date removed by previous owner while doing a refinish in purple. Originally White with Maple. Black pg and PUP. Epoxied Pre-Amp. 3 piece body. Refinished in natural.
    B006654..Purchased new 7 Aug 1978. Sunburst with Maple. Black pg. Encircled "R" on headstock logo.
    B006676..Believed to be 1977. Natural with Maple. Black pg.
    B006679..Believed to be 1977 or 1978. White with Ernie Ball Maple neck. Black pg. Serial on neck plate. Strings through body.
    B006694..Bought new early 1979. Sunburst with Maple. Black pg. Serial on neck plate. Red interior case.
    B0067xx..1977. Sunburst. Rosewood Fretless.
    B006717..1977. Sunburst with Maple. Black pg.
    B006775..Neck 31 Oct 1978. Body 27 Sep 1978. Sunburst with non-original (?) lined fretless Rosewood. Black pg. Back of headstock signed "Christian McBride". Wider 12th fret position side dots.
    B006798..Owner says 1977 or 1978. Natural with Maple. Black pg. 3 bolt neck. Strings through body.

15. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Us older guys believe taking off the neck of a pristine closet queen is like taking her virginity, especially if you do not need to.(you do not need to satisfy other peoples curiosity if you have a serial number elsewhere).:crying:

16. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Oh my, that's the worst analogy I've ever read and also a wrong statement.
    There will be no problem in take the neck off, it's just wood and a couple of screws. Who cares about virginity anyway??!:rollno:

Do whatever you want with your nice bass.

best

17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Bolt-on basses were obviously designed to be taken apart.

18. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    It's a 1977 !

19. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    The others I've tried had low output D & G strings and/or the whole pre-amp sounded very weak.
    On top of that the pots often were in bad shape.

This bass sounds very even and clean.
    Solid lows, crystal highs and well defined mids.

I guess it is very important to not let the "vintage"
    vibe take control over your decision.
    Just because it's a "desirable", old, and a hard to get bass, does not make it automatically a good instrument.

Mich

20. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    The risk of finding out that it is a new EBMM classic Ray! Just kidding LOL :D