Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wushuguy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I just bought an OLP MM3 5 string last night (great bass for the money), and just noticed a problem. When I stand more than 10 feet away from my amp, I get a ton of noise. What would cause this?? This is the only bass that it happens on.
    It really isn't that big of a deal. I got the bass just to bring to work and practice. But I would like to know what causes this problem. Thanks for any help.

2. bad input jack.

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    If it was a bad input jack, wouldn't the noise be a constant, or just come on when I move the jack a certain way? It's silent until I get a certain distance away from the amp, then it gets noisey. How exactly would a bad jack be the culprit? Thanks.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is the cord becoming taut when you get that far away?

If you move the amp to where you stand (when 10 feet away), then go stand where the amp was, does it still do it?

5. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I think I figured it out. It's not the jack. I tried moving the cord around at the imput and nothing happens. There's also no pull on the cord at that distance.
    Would my computer cause this problem? It seems to happen only when the bass is near the monitor. Ok, think that's definitely the problem. I guess the pickup picks up noise from the monitor? When I turn off the volume on the bass, the noise goes away.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh yes definitely. Monitors spew noise like crazy, up close. Even a well-shielded bass with humbucking pickups is going to get noise right in front of a monitor.

7. yeah, that pisses me off to. ill try to record something with my cpu, but i have to put my amp and bass far away, so it never sounds clean. meh, damn the computer. WAIT, what if i unplug the screen??~?? wait...then id have to, aline the mouse up, unplug the screen, hit record, memorize where the stop button was, and if i messed up, this could become tireding...hmm...the fixer = get a 4 track ^_^.

8. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    This bass has the MM style pickup with a volume pot for each of the 2 pole positions. When the volumes of both are even, there is no noise when by the monitor. But if I turn just one of them a little bit away from the other, the noise comes back. Why is that?

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The two coils in the pickup (not two "pole positions" :) ) are wired in a hum-cancelling arrangement. When they are both on equally, hum picked up by one cancels the hum picked up by the other. This is how humbucking pickups work, and is also generally how basses with two single-coil pickups (like the Jazz) are wired.

10. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Ahh...ok, thanks.

I knew "pole positions" sounded weird. :)
    That sure was a great game though. :D

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I own that game. Really. the real arcade version is in my room. It is fun. I remember playing it all the time when I was younger at pizza hut!