Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass product line...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassturtle, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Warwick

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Spector

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm looking at picking up another bass line for my store before Christmas hits. I've been offered the dealership for both Warwick and Spector. However, I'm only going to take on one.

I'm a bigger fan of Warwicks, but I think Spectors might fit the vibe of the store a bit more...which is primarily vintage instruments. Both companies have similar opening orders. They both are considered upper end companies, but have mid-priced instruments as well. I'm kind of 50/50 right now.

So, I thought I'd throw this up on the forums to see what most of you bassists would rather see hanging on a guitar store wall - Warwick or Spector.

Feel free to elaborate on you choice.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm not a big Warwick fan but there does seem to be a good market for them and they also have an amp line. Would you be selling the amps too? I prefer Spectors myself.

brad cook

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My vote is biased...I love Spector basses. Warwicks are cool, but they seem a little spendy to me.

-Mike

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Big Warwick fan here, I say go with Warwick.

5. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I would go with the spector. The legend series seems to be doing fine.

6. I'm not terribly fond of Spectors. Played a couple in stores, and just don't really care for them. I've liked several Warwicks though...

7. i know a lot of other people will disagree, but i haven't ever enjoyed playing the lower end spectors i've played. the feel was fine, which is a very good thing, but the tones have all been pretty unremarkable.

warwick rockbasses, on the other hand, sound good and feel good. and of course the higher end are very nice and quite popular these days.

i feel like warwick might be wearing out its welcome on the market, though. as in, though it's high end, it may well pass from vogue and be difficult to sell. however, i think the rockbasses would sell better than mid-priced spectors. of course, for purely high-end appeal, i think spector holds the edge over warwick.

tough choice. i'd probably choose warwick simply for the superior mid-line, which would sell better and encourage purchases of the higher end instruments.

robb.

8. Actually that would be hilarious! The TB joke! Sell or just have some carrots in your store for people to eat! They are not messy and if anyone from TB came in they would crack up :p

(Totaly something I would do)

9. Why I just spent 5 minutes laughing hysterically from this, I'll never know. ;)

10. I've still got a big grin from the thought :D

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think warwick has the edge name wise, at least in this area.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Jeez! 7 to 7. We're a big help....by the way, Spector.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree. I would go with the Warwicks. It seems all the "kids' " favorite players use them.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Do you have a store yet? Will it have a "store front" , mail order only?? Is it open?

I know we have a spam rule around here, so could you foward the web site.

Also I am going to put this in misc, since it is music related........... :hyper:

15. Make that 7 to 7 to 2.
    My vote is for the carrots as well.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, that depends, really. Are either of those brands being carried in stores near you? Is there a GC nearby? What kind of profit margins/incentives are they offering? Financing? Free shipping? What other basses are you carrying that might be competing with either of these two choices?

Honestly, I would think either of those brands would be a great way to go. If you're a small store, you have to make it worth somebody's while to come in. I'm of the opinion that as a small store you can be either a mom & pop operation, carrying mostly cheap stuff, or you can be more of a pro type shop. I'd much rather be more on the cool side of things, and make my store into a destination spot. Granted, this is a more difficult way to go until you develop a reputation around town.

If there's a Warwick or Spector dealer around town, I'd probably pass if I were in your shoes - especially if there's a GC nearby. I'd go with something that is high quality, moderately priced, and doesn't have a ton of dealers everywhere, and has a good reputation that will draw people into your store.

17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    IMO Warwicks aren't worth buying unless you want tio spend over $1200. Most customers you'll get probably won't have $1200 on them. With Spectors they make excellent quality basses for all price ranges. As you can tell I suggest Spector.