1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Q?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tomshepp, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I have looked in the newbie threads but still wonder why new instruments are priced the way they are. My specific example is this: I have been looking for a carved bass. I can afford up to maybe $8K. I have visited a shop which has Korr, Wilfer, and one or two other basses in this price range. I am interested in the Wan bass from the threads on here. So the question is this: If you have two Chinese basses that are made of similar woods (solid spruce and maple), why is the Korr $8k and the Wan $5K? I would never buy a bass I couldn't play first. I'm just wondering what I'm missing? Thanks.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    There's no reason at all to expect that just because they are both Chinese and made from "similar woods" that they would be priced the same at all. The reasons are certainly not unique to basses. Even assuming that the instruments were indistinguishable in terms of design and quality, different manufacturers price their products differently as a result of the price point and perceived level of quality they wish to target, labor costs, shipping costs, agreements with dealers and many, many other market and marketing considerations.

On the flip side, two instruments priced identically may differ in many important respects. We all know that price is only a rough indicator of quality.

The Korr and the Wan are both made of spruce and maple. So are basses costing six figures! It's what the luthiers DO with the wood that counts. I suggest you go and play both basses (in addition to others) and decide which one YOU like better. That would be the one to buy.

By the way, where do you live?

3. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Thanks for your reply. I live in the Boston area. I've been playing for some time, um, well, many years. I'm kind of a jack of most trades. I do make my living in music, teaching and some gigs, a lot of bass guitar. I guess I'd just like a bass for arco playing. My old Kay which I'll always keep is OK for what I do, but doesn't sound so good with the bow. So if I do an community orchestra gig or a theater gig where I need the bow, I feel a little limited. When I've played on one bass in particular the Korr, I know my bass just couldn't do that. I'd be sure to look into other shops etc. in my area. Thanks.