Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by estesbass, Dec 6, 2004.

1. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    I'm currently looking for a new bass for mainly jazz...my price range is up to $8,000. My dilemma is that my location is Nashville, TN, where there are no bass shops. From searching online, I am guessing that the Cinncinatti Bass Cellar is the best place to look that is close to me (4 hours). Does anyone know any better shops that may be close, or should I consider flying up to NY and looking at Gage, Kolstein, etc... Thanks for any help,
    jon

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Go see Dustin Williams. He should be able to offer some guidance.

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    No bass shops in Nashville? :confused: Wow!

Good Luck . . .

4. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    Are you sure there are no bass shops in Nashville?
    (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's fabulous directory shows the three I've copied below - the one with a web site had a pic of a fairly well stocked cello/bass room.

TN, Nashville, George Chestnut, 615-889-6454
    TN, Nashville, Jim Ferguson Double Bass Shop, fax: 615-463-8747, jim@jimfergusonmusic.com
    Setup, repair work, sells strings and accessories. Part-time
    TN, Nashville, Dustin Art Williams 615-429-2927, Dustin@WilliamsFineViolins.com www.WilliamsFineViolins.com

Hope this is useful...

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Here's the latest intel that I have on bass shops in Nashville, mentioned above:
    Mr. Chestnut is semi- if not fully retired, I could be wrong there since I didn't hear it from him.
    Jim Furgeson doesn't stock basses as a rule, but may have something here or there. Good luthier, excellent performer. Buy his music, you won't regret it.
    Dustin Williams, Williams Violin Shop opened maybe 8 months ago, has a decent stock of basses built up.
    Cinci Bass Cellar is always worth visiting, as is Nick Lloyd in Cincy.
    The Loft in Columbus may have some basses in your price range, and it's still a short drive for you.
    Good luck!

6. In addition to those already mentioned (Dustin's shop is a major drool inducer), visit Fred Carpenter at the Violin Shop on Old Hickory Blvd. He often has a bass or two on consignment.

You can also visit Valley Guitar on Church st. they have several new and used basses. David Harvey is the man to see there.

Also Nashville Violins (I can't remember the address but they have a website if you search) usually carries a few basses.

Even Gruhn's Guitar on Broadway carries several old basses--you just have to get one of the salesguys to carry you up to the second floor where they keep them. I suggest you talk to Andy Smith--some of the other guys there often act like cylindrical feces.

Nashville may not be New York but it ain't exactly Nowheresville.

7. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the replys guys.
    How has everyone's experience been with the Cinncinnati Bass Cellar? Do they have a good selection of basses under $8000 (i.e. Juzeks, etc.), or are they geared more towards orchestral players?

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR

That's a new one on me! :D

az

9. Check out their website. The maintain an inventory online .

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're looking for advice on a bass in Nashville I would talk to Jim, especially for jazz. I was visiting professor there last fall and got to know him. Great guy, musician, asset. I'm sure he would have some ideas.

Louis