Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pster, Sep 21, 2005.

1. pster

pster

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi,
    I badly need a new bass but have never showed much of an interest in the equipment side of bass playing. I now realise this was an oversight because I am stuck as to knowing what im looking for. I know what I want it to sound like. I want a bass that has a vintage character to it but with a punchy top end.
    Has any body got any advice on what I should be looking for. I guess i'm looking to spend about a grand.

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    First thing that came to my mind is "American Fender P bass"

3. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Check out the G&L line [you should find a link to the website around here.] I have an L2000 that is VERY versatile for all kinds of music. Its been called a Jazz and Precision bass on "steroids" due to its tone and hot output of those fat humbuckers. The great thing about this bass is that it offers both traditional and modern tones with the onboard electronics [series/parallel modes, bass, treble, pickup switching], and the ability to turn the active preamp off, but yet be able to tweak the bass and treble. Very cool. Currently, I am favoring the neck pickup only, series, and preamp either on or off, for a traditional P-bass tone. The bass is very heavy being swamp ash, but the quality and tone are worth it! The downside is finding places to check one out, at least here in Cin-skin-nati thats the case. I believe the prices should be in your range too. Even better finding one used or the new Tribute line that are getting good reviews too. www.thedudepit.com has a forum dedicated to them too, along with other basses.

Good luck, let us know what you get!
    Scott

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think you should visit your local music shop and try out a few within the price range you are looking for. Being comfortable with the bass is something only you can define and once you have narrowed it down to two or three, come back to talkbass and get some good advice.