Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgnbstrd, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Hey there all, as many of you have experienced, new bass fever is upon me, and I'm now thinking about my next bass.
    I currently have:
    Warwick Corvette Standard active w/ dtuner 4 string
    Spector ns2000 0quilted 5 string
    Yamaha bbn4f frettless 4 string
    I'm in love with the warwick, greatest bass I've played( I've played other warwicks as well this one just seems to sound and fit better than any other)
    I would like a quality back up 4 string.
    So, if you would be as kind to give me your sugesstions on wich of these I should look into I would be very happy.
    Carvin custom lb70 - Mahagony/maple neck flamed maple top
    Warwick Corvette jazzman
    Warwick thumb bolton

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would go for the thumb. carvins are nice to.

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I love Warwick, too. I'm a Thumb player, myself, although I think when I get my next bass, I'll either look at a Music Man or the Fender P Bass Deluxe, just to get sounds I'll never get from the Warwick...

4. I'm thinking I'll end up going with the thumb. I was just curious if anyone has had much experience with carvins. I like the idea of making a custom bass for under 1000 bucks..

5. it all depends on what youre looking for in a bass. if you dig the funk or at least slap some you should definately go for the thumb bolt on. thats the bass i play. ive had others but nothing has the same great tone that the thumb has. some people will say that the neck is too heavy for the small body, but thats a myth. maybe if youre standing and its strapped on it taes some gettin used to but not much and if you play sitting down its perfectly balanced. great tone, great feel, great shape, great bass. nothing compares to a warwick and you know it

6. yes I do know it...for a brief moment it just escaped me..hehe
    Thanks

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    The Carvins are good quality basses; well built and solid. In my experience the Warwick electronics are more flexible and sound better, but the Carvin is no slouch...I just don't know that I'd consider them strictly 'custom' either; you do get to 'customize' them to your tastes, but there are basically 2 or 3 different models that you can change some specs on. Don't get me wrong, I really like mine- your choice is a difficult one from where I stand; fortunately I don't have to make it. :)

Have you considered the +'s & -'s of each model, for you personally?
    Are you slapping alot, or otherwise need a lot of punch? Carvin = neckthru/ Warwicks = bolt(the models you mentioned)
    My Carvin's strings are alot higher off the body than my Warwick.
    The Warwicks have a carved/arched body, which is pretty comfortable. Carvin doesn't.
    Carvins don't neck dive as bad as some Warwicks do, though a good strap can usually correct this with the W's...
    The angled tuners on some (all?) Warwicks are a really nice configuration. I'd like that on all my basses...
    Then there's the factor of really personalizing a Carvin; pretty pricey to try that with a Warwick...

That's a few things I've noticed since owning both.
    If you can think of any other specific questions, let us know...

8. In my humble opinion, do not pass Warwick, do not pass Carvin, go directly to Fender - they have a great 5-string Jazz bass -- beautiful neck, active electroncs, real good.

9. I've been playing the Warwick Dolphin since 1992, I think it was the first one that came out, loved it but not playing it so often because it's such a beautiful instrument. Switched to Modulus Quantum 5, loved it, versatile with one of the best neck in the industry. Switched to Modulus because I saw Me'shelle Ngedeocello in concert and rushed to a local store and played it, loved it, ordered a custom made, and never looked back.

12. I just got an LB70F a couple of months ago, and it's a darned sweet bass. Mine's Walnut, though, not Mahagony, but they did a great job on it.

Lisa

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, howdy! Thanks for noticing. The Carvin board is fun, nice folks there (like here, too), but I needed some variety...

Have you played the jazzman configuration? I got to try out a Streamer Jazzman & loved it. Almost bought it, but the Infinity 5 came along and lured me in. The Jazzman config is pretty flexible with the splittable HB, but the Thumb is nice too if you can stand the ergonomics.
    I'd like to hear your personal observations on the Warwicks after you've demo'd them again.

Who are you on the Carvin board?
    m

14. I've played the fna corvette, not the jazzman yet,hope to soon.
    I've played a few thumbs before, i liked the body feel, but when go to try them out again, I'll play them a little longer to really get an idea for the feel.
    I'm pgnbstrd on the carvin bord as well...