Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swapmeet, Dec 30, 2001.

1. swapmeet

swapmeet

Jul 18, 2001
    Bothell, WA
    I have been playing the bass for about 5 months now, and I currently have a Yamaha RBX270 bass. However, the split pick up has been getting in my way when I'm using a pick, so I have been thinking of upgrading to a new bass, probably either an Ibanez EDB600 or EDC700? Do you any of you have any comments on these two basses? I play finger and pick style. I also mainly play hard rock with some blues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have played them both. keep in mind that i'm an old school guy. i personally don't like at all both basses. call me dull but for me those are cheapy plastic made basses. they named plastic with the pompous name luthite and they think to sell something modern. i disagree, both for the sound of the basses and the appareance. i played these basses compared to the Ibanez ATK and the BTB series and BTB and ATK are for me much better built and much better sounding than EDB and EDC. EDC and EDB are for me bad basses with a sparkling image, with a big promotion campaign and with a lot of "endorsers" to make them desiderable. to me they are a high profit product for ibanez and they advertise a lot for this reason. if luthite is for real what i think, it's way much cheaper than the cheapest wood. as a raw material and as manufacturing costs. as said that and assuming you want to buy an ibanez bass for some reason, i highly suggest you to try the BTB basses. best basses ibanez is making in that price range. i love atk too, but they have not that modern sound you are looking for and i'm not sure that they are available in usa.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I have an EDB 690 and an ATK 300 (good luck finding either one). Love 'em both. The ATK is big and ballsy. The EDB is smaller and lighter. The EDB with it's pu blend control is more tonally versitile, but will never have the ballsy sound of the ATK on any of it's 3 pu settings. They are the two most comfortable basses I've played to date, but are at extremes (EDB has a very small neck; ATK has a tree trunk). I prefer the EDB to EDC. BTBs are great basses, but I could never adjust to the feel of them (not to say that you couldn't). Whatever you decide, enjoy the bass..........