1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QuadX, Mar 9, 2010.

1. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hey TB's, I'm fairly new to bass and need help on where to start on getting a new bass.

Music Style:
    I play for churches and in my band, "Betrayed by Sorrow". For church, I play contemporary christian. Betrayed by Sorrow (BBS) is Hard Rock, mix of God Smack, Alter Bridge, and maybe some Creed.

Equipment:
    I currently own an Alembic Epic 5-string and play through a Genz Benz GBE1200 and two Bergantino HS410's. I am not convinced that the Alembic Epic is the right bass for what I'm playing. It's a very "sweet" sounding bass...very musical, but doesn't sound "edgy" enough.

What I'm Asking:
    I need help with a starting point on which basses to consider. Definitely looking for a 5-string. I really like Ben Kenney of Incubus playing style. He play's a Custom Lakland with Joe Barden humbuckers. I may be too general in my asking, so ask questions as needed...

2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    It can get into pretty subjective issues when you decide to find a different sound. Hard to say just what is "edgy", right?

I have a passive J-bass that's somewhat smooth, especially compared with my old MM Sabre - the soloed neck pickup on that beast is just obnoxious... in a good way. In this case, I knew the difference when I heard it.

Since you want a 5-string, I think you'd be smart to sit with a Stingray in that layout. To my knowledge, that's one of the most beloved 5-er's of all time and I'm pretty sure they offer different pickup arrangements. No argument against Lakland either. I've been a dedicated 4-stringer for some years, but I tried one of their Skyline 5's and MAN what a cozy player.

If you can "Pepsi Challenge" your Alembic with a few others, that will obviously reveal whether that bass has the sweet nastiness you're looking for.

3. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    So what about Lakland vs Sadowsky?

4. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Have you ever played a Spector?

5. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have not played a Spector...how would you define their tone and playability compared to an Alembic and Lakland?

6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Alembic sucks. Ill trade you my MIM Fender for it :D

7. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Don't be dissin' Mexican's now ;)

8. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    MusicMan Sterling HH. Most aggressive sounding bass I've ever played (in 33 years of doing so). It will cut like a buzzsaw through the most dense nu-metal barrage of guitar mayhem. I'm a Stingray player myself, and love the lighter weight and smaller size of the Sterling... but for my style of music it's just too impolite! I would imagine it would be perfect for what you're talking about.

9. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    First off, for being new to bass you have some damn nice equipmnet!! I'd try a bunch of stuff and see what you like. I'd say try a Warwick Jazzman since it can cover mnay tones and will have the growl for the Hard Rock (or maybe a Thumb bass). A Fender Jazz passive would be a good option, and Lakelands are good from what I've read, which is just a Fender Copy basically. Just try a bunch.

10. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Edgy ;)

11. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    How about a CV Squire for a trade for the Alembic?

12. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Watch this demo and see what you think. Major diversity.

13. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I picture is worth 1000 words...a video, more. I like!

14. How about a tone shaping pedal like a Sansamp VT pedal? You can get all sorts of amp sounds out of it, and it's lot cheaper than a new bass.

15. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    After researching a little on the Dingwall's they strike an interest. But how hard is it to learn how to play on slanted frets?

16. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Look at Cliff Bordwell Custom Basses, www.cbbasses.com. He can build you anything you are looking for at a very reasonable price. Superior construction, sound, attention to detail and playability. Especially if you are already playing an Alembic.

17. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a Dingwall Afterburner I and it is by far the best bass I have owned or played in 20+ years. Perfectly even string tension across the fretboard, incredible B string and the lightest bass I have played as well.
    The fanned frets took me no time to get used to, I find if I don't look at the fretboard it is not noticable at all and I actually much prefer it to my other basses now.
    Good luck.

18. That Alembic have a preamp>? It may be all you need if the axe is comfortable to play.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020