New Bass Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ColonelClaypool, Dec 9, 2004.

1. ColonelClaypool

Apr 17, 2004
    I'm thinking of getting a new 4 string, and I've got a list of a few I'm interested in.
    Maybe some of you have had experience with some of these and shed some light on them.

Also, I'm in australia and all of these are in my price range ($900 - $1100; same basses in the US might sell in the $300-$450 range), so please don't post recommending basses that are most likely out of my price range.
    Also, alot of basses I'd like to try (i.e. MTD Kingston) are very, very hard to find.

My main influences are Primus (obviously), Red Hot Chili Peppers but also bands like Cake, The Police, most classic rock etc.

The list is (in no particular order):

Fender MIM Jazz Bass
    Fender MIM Precision Bass (not sure about slap sound though)
    Ibanez SR400 (don't trust cheap electronics)
    Ibanez SRX400
    Ibanez SRP400
    Ibanez SR500 (maybe)
    Yamaha BB404
    Washburn Taurus T24
    Schecter Stilletto Deluxe 4
    Spector Performance Series 4
    Peavey Millennium BXP
    Peavey Grind Bass BXP
    Musicman SUB (at least $400 more expensive than the others)

Anyway that's it.
    Thanks for any help.
  2. all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    I've got an SRX400 and love it, nice simple controls, great tone that really cuts through and it's sexier than sexy
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    You dont wanna go used?
  4. I'm also located in Australia, and other than Ebay, there's no way to find decent used stuff.

I'd probably go for the MIM Jazz, Yamaha BB404 or the Spector Performer.
  5. go hunting for Active Subs. They retail for $1999. But i know places where if you can talk the talk, they'll let you walk away with it for $1000 easily.

If not, Fender Active Deluxe Jazz (mexican), again these retail for about $1700-$1900.. but can be had for around $1000.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, Active SUBs should go for something less than $1200 I think.
  7. I've done some price shopping. If you take the current rate of exchange (about 0.76) and you consider shipping (around $250 US) You should be able to get most $1800 AU basses from america for about $1200 AU (shipping included).

By all means, USE this information when haggling with music shops in Australia.
  8. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    You may also take a look at Carvin. I play a 5-string Bunny Brunel model, and it is freakin amazing. I paid around $1000 US for it several years ago, and i can't say enough good things about it. The tone is great (I play a lot of jazz and funk stuff), it's neck-through, you can customize (fretted/fretless, finishes, inlays, hardware, whatever), and the quality is mind boggling for a bass that price. There aren't any basses anywhere in that price range that can compare in my opinion.

It's a little adventurous ordering direct, but you will not have any complaints believe me. I'm pretty sure you can get these in australia.

Check out

and their international page at

Something to think about anyway. :)
  9. Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    I would go for a Yamaha in that price range. You should wait for the new BB-414 or BB-614, They are really cool, look good and sound great! ;)

10. I'm interested in the new Yamaha stuff myself, do you have any pics or information?

As for the Carvin idea, I contemplated something from them a little earlier this year.
    The main killer is the amount of money it costs to ship a bass and get it through customs.
    Even a bass in the $300-$400US range could end up costing about AU$1000 (or more, maybe a little less) by the end of the entire process.
  11. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Hmmm. Carvin has a guy Joe Cecere listed as a contact for Australia, maybe they have a local dealership or something? Here's the email anyway
  12. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Yup, tried with a geetar once. It was like $559US and ended up about $1250AUD, and it goes for something like over $1400 here. Then you don't get to play it before buying it, and you don't get a warranty and stuff.

SUBs get mega discounted in Aussie shops I find, for some reason.
  13. I would take a look at the SUBs. They are great basses for the money. I play a StingRay and a Bongo 5 and when I played a SUB for the first time I was amazed at the quality and tone for the price.
  14. I was in Melbourne yesterday and came across a place called Manny's.
    They were selling SUBs there for $1000 brand new, which I thought was an excellent price.
    If I had the money, I'd have walked out with one.
  15. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got an Ibanez SR505 that cost me like $280 used on Ebay. I really like it. Its got a two band EQ that I don't use very often (leave flat most of the time), I mainly just use the blend knob.

I just recorded 4 very short samples so you can hear what it sounds like. The strings are D'addario Prisms, and they're about a year old.

EDIT: Excuse the sloppy playing. :ninja:
  16. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Maybe a little over your range, but how bout a used Geddy Lee Jazz?
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If I were you, I would cross the Spector Performer series off your list. I love Spector basses, but that series just doesn't cut it.

18. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    the bb404 just about floored me in every category, and I have owned a lot of nice basses. If you hate the electronics, either shield them better or get new pups. Yamahas have the most bang for buck besides some Fender IMO.
  19. ColonelClaypool

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks for posting those clips Sonorous, that's really helpful!

I've kept on researching since posting this thread, and trying a few of these basses out.

My list is down to the Fender Jazz, Musicman SUB, Ibanez Sr400/Sr500 (if I can get a good price I'll look into it more) and the Yamaha.

If that's true about the $1000 SUB from that place in Melbourne, that might be my choice.
  20. i play a muaicman Stingray as main bass but just got a secondhand Yamaha BB4G S11 which is an active bass like the BB404. The Yamaha is a great low cost bass, the materials and build quality is far better than the low cost Ibanez, Fender, etc etc.

The thing is Yamaha name isnt the most coolest to have but forget that get agreat sounding bass, better than my old Musicman Sub that i did have as a backup as it has more tonal variations