1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new bass rescue day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justice, May 5, 2010.

1. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    actually it was saturday.I was out running some errands and on my way home I stopped by the local pawn shop. Looked around for a bit and was talking to one of the guys working there. I had been there trying to get a speaker cab that they had, that somehow went in the back of the shop and dissapeared, the guys asked if there was any other amp/cabs there I might want and they woud cut me a deal on one. I said no, but I was kinda interested in a bass they had hanging up on the wall that had just come out. He said a lot of people had been interested in it. I said "you know its broken, right?" and he said yea, which is why nobody nought it. I had looked at the bass and knew I could fix eveything that was wrong with it for under $10 and was thinking of offering him $100 for it. With the excecption of the "problems", the bass looked brand new. The strings felt and sounded new (and looked stock) the plastic was still on the pickguard and there was not a single scratch or ding on it anywhere. Then he says, if your interested, i'll let you have it for $100 out the door. I said you got a deal and he rang it up.

The bass is an Epiphone EB-0. The problems were a broken nut on the E string side and the bridge posts pulling out of the body. I got it home, checked out the electronics, they are perfect and the bass sounded better than I thought it would. I took it apart (solid wood body, no ply) and repaired the bridge posts and went online and ordered a new nut for it. When the new nut arrives, i'll install it, set the bass up and be ready to start a Cream tribute band..lol

anyway...pics

IMG_1758.
    IMG_1759.
    IMG_1762-1.
    IMG_1763.
    IMG_1764.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    coo

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Nice score, congrats!

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Awesome score! Very cool.

5. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    and its done, ready to go play....

IMG_1773.

IMG_1769.

6. looks sweet, id be looking to add a mini bucker near the bridge and getting a 3 ply pick guard blank and doing a full SG special guard :)

just keep an eye on those bridge bolts, the ferrules that they screw into can work loose....... it happened on my epi T bird, shop guy took it in and glued the ferrules in place (i think he did, they are rock solid since. probably used an epoxy based glue rather than a wood glue due to metal/wood joint)

7. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    That was one of the problems, and has been corrected.