New Bass Review- Fender Highway 1 P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 19, 2003.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I realized the other day, after playing Jazz basses for 5+ years, that I really would like to have a P bass in the stable. It's all about that old-school thump. :D

After walking into Guitar Center (Sam Ash had crap for Precisions), I came across a Highway 1 P in a very retro and good-looking Honey Blonde finish.

I have to say I am VERY happy with the tone of this bass. It's gots gobs of punch and low end. I've never had a bass that sounded this good with all of the EQ flat. It goes with my SVT like peanut butter and jelly. After being used to the mellower, polite sounding J-Basses, hearing the P is like starting over for me. I really enjoy playing it.

Went through band practice like a champ (think "Taking Back Thursday" hard rock), and got a complement from the guitarist on the finish. I can't wait to play it in church on Sunday, where it should mix well with the country-ish vibe our worship team has going. I also know our musical director will flip, as he loves Precisions.

There have been some comment about the hardware in the other threads I have read; I see no current problem. Overall, the bass is very well constructed and plays like a dream. A quick tweak of the string height at the bridge, and I was playing free and easy. The bridge is a bit curious- it seems to have grooves in the saddles to allow different string spacing. This is something I haven't seen in a Fender bridge before.

Budget-wise, I couldn't swing an American Standard at this point. What with being a college student and making car payments, etc., this was a perfect fit. It plays light-years beyond the Mexican P's I tried- and stood up with the American Standards. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. I know a few people see the Highway 1's as a gimmick, but I feel confident that I just bought a very solid bass.

So now I have a fretless Jazz Bass w/Bartolinis, an Essex Jazz w/ Fender 60's Custom Shop pickups, and a Highway 1 Precision. Now that I have my bases covered, I won't need any more equipment, right?

...right? ;):D
  2. Congrats on the new bass.

I really enjoyed reading your post!

3. i also recently purchased a highway 1 p-bass and love it, i also have several other p-basses, a 62 ri, a vintage 62 p a fretless jazz and a few others, i have to say that the tone is very similiar to my original 62...i think alot of the fatness of this particular bass comes from the stock stings it comes with (fender superbass heavies 110-50). i recently changed the pickups out and am now using seymour duncan antiquities with the raised a poles, also i changed out the bridge to an american vintage unit...the hardware on these basses seem to be identical to the mim models (the tuners and bridge) i've polished mine so now it looks very shiny and similiar to a custom shop p ! can't beat it for the price though !!!rock on treena !