New bass rig - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ESP F-255
    Peavey TNT 115
    Sadowsky preamp

I don't own any of this yet, I'm still figuring it all out. I'm like $50 away from getting the ESP, i.e. 1-2 days of work (WOOPEE). And I WAS going to get an Ampeg BA115 but 100 watts isn't enough for gigging, and the peavey gives 200 watts. I was going to get a sansamp driver for the distortion, but the peavey comes with overdrive, so there's no need for the sansamp. I love the Sadowsky sound that J Newsted gets, so I'll try and add a bit of that to my tone.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Note - Dunno whether this goes in basses, misc, amps, whatever, so I just put it here.
  2. The Peavey TNT is tough as nails and sounds pretty good. It is pretty loud also. If only they would use side handles, it would make moving that beast a lot easier.

Good luck pieceing your set up together. It should be pretty nice.
  3. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I hear the Sad preamp is weak
  4. 1. Best heavy-metal tone for my price range
    2. Cutaway allows easy access to 24th fret (yes i do use it)
    3. Good tonal control
    4. Killer looks :D

Really? Hmm I'll look into it, thanks. Maybe I WILL go with the sansamp. I have plenty of time to think about it, the preamp won't be purchased for quite a few months. After I buy the ESP/Peavey I have to buy:

Used jackson/esp guitar off ebay = $300ish
    Marshall 30w amp = $100+ forgot exact price

So'll be a while. Besides, I can survive without a preamp. That's why I'm saving it for last.

Aside from those things, the last items on my list are:

Drum machine - $100 used
    4 track recorder - $100

I have my work cut out for me. :bassist:
  5. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX's a killer preamp. Owned one for a while and had to sell it to help pay for a bass. I loved the tone and am currently saving for another outboard Sadowsky pre. Can't say enough about them. Not as versatile as the Sansamp but I've "heard" you can get more bottom end out of the Sadowsky. The bottom end I was able to achieve was nothing short of amazing. Big and tight at the same time. Don't rule it out. Play both and decide.
  6. Well I've decided to take the head/cab route. I know I want a avatar 410 cab, but not sure about the head. Still trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to go preamp + poweramp vs. head.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    For about $700 you can get a bigass QSC poweramp and, say, a Sansamp RBI (or BBE Bmax, if you'd prefer), and have all the power and tone options you could stand. :)

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This has really turned more into an amp/preamp thread rather than a bass related one. I am moving this to Amps. You'll get more suggestions about a new rig there.
  9. Alright cool. I dont know what I was saying earlier, about preamp + poweramp being cheaper or something :eyebrow: