1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by griff2564, Jan 18, 2001.

1. griff2564

griff2564

Jan 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I play bass in my church for a Gen X service(mostly light rock,and folk,with a drummer,and guitarist), and i am thinking about upgrading from the Peavey i have right now. My problem is two-fold: 1. How big is too big? The drummer and i have talked about starting a more rock/funk group ourselves, and i know the Peavey won't cut it. Yet i don't want to overpower everyone during the church service. i do send a preamp signal to the PA, but it just doesn't cut it onstage, since i am right next to the drummer. 2. I am currently in college, and on a tight budget, so as much as i would love to buy an ampeg, or SWR rig, it ain't in the budget. So i need something reasonable, that will get the job done for both church and any future work i might do. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I would suggest a Nemesis 2-10 combo. It has enough power to compete with a drummer. It has a real clean tone, and only weighs 48 pounds. It also has a super clean line-out that I have never had any problems with. I play in a funk band and they love my sound with my musicman stingray. Also, you can get it at http://www.riksmusic.com for $589.95. I have bought a couple of things from them and have had excellent luck and customer service. They will send it to you free also, anything over like $150 get sent free.
    cameron

3. griff2564

griff2564

Jan 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks for the suggestion.I played a Nemesis 4-10 combo today,and i was very impressed. It was used, but still in good shape. I played it side by side with a G-K 700RB/210 combo. The Nemesis was much better. Now i need to save up the cash for it. Thanks for the suggestion, I would have never thought of that manufacturer myself

4. >i am thinking about upgrading from the Peavey i have right now

Are you referring to your TNT combo (from your profile ?).

Peavey has a wide variety of amps for different uses. I am a big fan (as many here know) and never hesitate to recommend the brand.

Also, if you're on a tight budget, you won't go wrong with Peavey, especially in the used gear market. Look into something like a Combo 115.

John

5. Lightngsvt

Lightngsvt

Jan 13, 2001
    If your on a budget and want that awesome SWR sound, check out the Working man's series. I bought a Workingman's 12 as a practice amp and I love it (my band was impressed by it too). They can be had new for around $500, very reasonable! After buying this amp and try some "real" SWR gear, Im considering replacing my Ampeg V4-BH and 2- SVT 410 PRo cabinets with an SWR Bass 500, or Mo'Bass head and a 15' and 410 cabinets (not cheap, about $2500 for all 3).