1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass - Rusted Screws Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chasesigi, Jul 19, 2012.

1. chasesigi

chasesigi

Jul 15, 2012
    After 19 years of not playing Bass (only played for a short time back then but always have loved it) a hand injury prompted me to get back into it ....

I got a Squier VM Jaguar Special Humbucker 4 String ...

As I had a gift card I ordered it online, received it today to find that the battery cover screws (inside the 9V battery container) are fully rusted the battery was corroded and one of the battery heads was broken off. I cleaned the corrosion replaced the battery all looks well but of course the screws are still rusted.

Also rusted are the wire plate cover screws on the back, though the wire connections inside appear clean. Many of the pick guard screws are rusted (when you pull them out not the chrome heads)

My question is with this amount of rust and corrosion should I be worried that the wood is warped?

I have been assured that all is warrantied and the seller is sending me new screws (hopefully ones for the 9V battery compartment too, not sure if those are as readily available laying around a guitar shop)

Any feedback is appreciated! !

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Sell the rusted ones as "relic'd" on eBay for $$$$$$$

3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    If I bought a new instrument, I would not be happy with rusted screws. But, I play my bases a lot, so they all have rust on them anyway. I'm sure the bass is fine though

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Just remember, rust never sleeps

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Brand new bass? Send it back!