Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass: Schecter or LTD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EddyK, May 15, 2005.

1. EddyK

EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi there,

I'm planning to buy a new bass. I am thinking about the Schecter C-4 or the LTD EC-404. Haven't had a chance to play one of them so far. Any experiences with any of them? Any tips? Which one would you go for?

Thanx

2. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I own the schecter C4 so I might be a little biased. I have had no problems with it at all, it's been very reliable as a learning tool. I do not play professionally or gig just yet so I can't say how it would hold up to abuse. I like the way it plays, it has helped me develop skills in the last 6 months that might lead you to believe I've been playing alot longer. However I do sleep with my bass so others results may vary. I read the specs on each and they both appear very similar in build and features. I would have to say play both back to back and see which one feels the best to your fingers and sounds the best to your ears. :D

3. EddyK

EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thanks for the infos so far. Can you tell me anything about the neck? I prefer thinner necks (as I'm a guitar player who's only recently switched to bass. I don't like the (thicker) Fender necks.

4. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    The neck is thin, and very easy to get your fingers around. I dumped the Stock Elixir strings for some good ol cheap daddario 170's (nickel) and I can pretty much do anything I want with my C4.

5. The only complaint I have with any schecter I've played is the light trebly strings that are on most of them. I've played both and the C4 sounds and looks better than the LTD.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I haven't played either, but I wanted to make a comment about the LTD. Especially in the dark sunburst, it looks EXTREMELY similar to Dean Edge 4 Bartolini bass. That bass is NICE. The tone is excellent and the price is around $400-$450, if I remember correctly. Just something to think about.

-Eric.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would go for the LTD hands down. Great bass.

8. EddyK

EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thanks for the Tip. I'll try to get my hands on one and give it a try.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I think you are confusing the LTD EC-404 with the B-404. The EC series have single cut-Les Paul style bodies while the B series is a more modern double cut style.