Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass setup blues.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 19, 2001.

1. Hey guys,

I got a Ibanez BTB1005 the other day and I'm having the typical "new bass setup blues". I'm trying to lower the action but have ran into a weird problem.

When I play a G on the B string, I get some nasty fret buzz. The strange thing is, the buzz is coming from between my fret hand and the head of the bass. If I mute the string in that area I don't get the buzz. Any suggestions?

Also, I have found some normal buzz on 2 other frets. Is there any way to buff the frets or something to get rid of this?

Thanks,

2. Try raising your action (raise the bridge saddles using an allen wrench)

If that doesn't work you may consider slightly tightening your bass's truss-rod.

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Maybe the angled of the headstock isn't enough and the strings are rattling in the nut? If that's the case, either put your strings lower on the tuning peg to create a sharper angle.. or, put on a string tee to hold the strings tighter.. Later.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have had exactly the problem you describe and in my case it was down to the slots in the nut being cut too low for the strings and action I was using. I took the bass to the official setup guy at the Bass Centre in London and he "built up" the nut slot on the affected strings using dust made from "ground up" nuts that he kept specially for this purpose. He used a very quick setting glue mixed with the "nut" powder and it was all done in a few minutes and he didn't even charge me.

The way to see if this is the problem is to try a temporary fix first - so, get a piece of stiff card and tear off a piece to fit in the nut slot and loosen the string until you can fit the card underneath the string - you might try folding the card to make a stiffer or thicker "wedge". Then get the string back up to pitch and see if this cures the buzz?