Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New BASS!! setup.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jazzfiend, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Jazzfiend

Jazzfiend

Nov 30, 2002
    hey. I just got a new bass a couple months ago this is my first one ever. My friend told me I should take it into someone so that they can adjust it and stuff.... I don't really know what he's refering to but it sounds like a good idea. Is this necessary? What does the guy do? And if it is a good idea do any of you know good people within the san francisco bay area, CA, that you reccommend?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I do all of the setup myself on my instruments, as well as for my gutarist and several other bassists that I know. There are several good guides on the internet for this type of thing. Usually it refers to measuring the relief in you neck, figuring out if your trussrod needs to be adjusted. Also I usually check the inotation on the bass, and see if the bridge needs to be adjusted. I am sure you probably know some one who could do a basic setup. If you can't find someone, PM me and we may be able to work someting out.

3. hey, also helping out people on talkbass! Thanks for the advice on the intonation. I redid it and got it closer than before. We need more people like you on these fora.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    well for starters how does the bass play? let someone who knows about basses play it to see if in fact it does need a set-up.
    if it does need one its a fairly easy operation to perform, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING)
    the set-up will consist of adjusting the string height(action), pick-up height,(to get best tone w/out distortion or weak signal) truss rod adjustment(proper relief in the neck)and intonation(i dont know how to translate) this will get you on the road to a better playing bass, a well set-up bass makes a HUGE" difference, i balieve i have covered all the basics.
    some of these are easy to do and some are a little tricky and last but not least truss adjustment,this is a delicate procedure and should not be done by a begginer, over tightining can prove to be a costly
    mistake,you can really do some damage to your bass so proceed with caution,
    IMO bring it to a pro for your 1 or 2 set-ups,pay attention to whats being said here(this web site in general),and dont be afraid to ask questions,remember we were all begginers at one time or another, i myself have only been playing for a year but a i am on this and many other sites on a reg bassis, i ask other bassis how to get things done and i listen to others who know more than me,
    after a few months you will get the jist of it, its not that hard,
    and remember there are no stupid questions.
    there are only stupid people
    peace and good luck:D