Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass shortlist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Streamer Jazzman

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Streamer LX

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Thumb Bolt On

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I am think of getting a new bass and have narrowed it down to the following options

Streamer Jazzman
    Streamer LZ
    Thumb Bolt-on

Im looking for quite an agressive sound (My band is getting heavier every song)

I use my tobias currently, and it sound great on more melodic softer stuff, but i think i just need something with a little more edge.

Price range about £1000
    Preferably a Warwick
    And a 5

Any ideas???

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Thumb BO 5.
    Preferably a wenge neck'ed model (<1999?)
    But I don't think you can go wrong with a newer one. You'll find an number of the older ones for resale.

I love mine. It's not really a finesse bass. I'm a fairly sturdy guy and I have bigger paws so the mass of the bass and the neck that resembles a louisville slugger were things I could overcome. I also strap up higher and use a non-slip strap so neck-dive doesn't really get to me.

It's a rather unbalanced beast. I can't recall a gig where I didn't get a comment on its tone. It really bites through.

I like the Jazzman FNA for really nice slap tone.
    I'm not familiar with the Streamer LZ.

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    i have a thumb thru neck at the moment (a bit ov a rarity, so it doesnt get gigged). I never found the balance thing a problem.... my first insinct was to get a thumb.... just thought i would check out the options.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The warwick is probably a good choice-from what I've heard from guys on the board, the Thumb 5 woudl bea good choice for your situation. Unless you really like the way it sounds/feels, I would stay away from the corvette because it is one of the heaviest basses I ahve ever played:eek:

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    A bit of a sideline, but does anyone know if you can stain ovangkol??? if so how does it look, i fancy a black stain on it.

6. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    A warick thumb is my dream bass. For heavy songs it cuts thru like butter, listen to some early Mudvayne, like LD 50. Or take a peak at their live DVD. Ru-D uses a thumb and he is awesome, cuts thru guitar like its not even there.

7. I've never been a real big fan of the thumb for some reason. they sound nice but I don't like the shape of the body. the sreamer LX or streamer Jazzman would be sweet though. I like both of those. see if you can play all three, they all have slightly different sounds. but I would go for one of the streamers because that is my favorite warwick body shape.

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I love the shape of the streamer too, i wonder if you use the correct woods you could get a streamer to sound like a thumb?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Do not make the mistake of overlooking the Streamer LX. Easily the best bass in your poll.