1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass shortlist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Streamer Jazzman

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Streamer LX

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Thumb Bolt On

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I am think of getting a new bass and have narrowed it down to the following options

Streamer Jazzman
    Streamer LZ
    Thumb Bolt-on

Im looking for quite an agressive sound (My band is getting heavier every song)

I use my tobias currently, and it sound great on more melodic softer stuff, but i think i just need something with a little more edge.

Price range about £1000
    Preferably a Warwick
    And a 5

Any ideas???

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Thumb BO 5.
    Preferably a wenge neck'ed model (<1999?)
    But I don't think you can go wrong with a newer one. You'll find an number of the older ones for resale.

I love mine. It's not really a finesse bass. I'm a fairly sturdy guy and I have bigger paws so the mass of the bass and the neck that resembles a louisville slugger were things I could overcome. I also strap up higher and use a non-slip strap so neck-dive doesn't really get to me.

It's a rather unbalanced beast. I can't recall a gig where I didn't get a comment on its tone. It really bites through.

I like the Jazzman FNA for really nice slap tone.
    I'm not familiar with the Streamer LZ.

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    i have a thumb thru neck at the moment (a bit ov a rarity, so it doesnt get gigged). I never found the balance thing a problem.... my first insinct was to get a thumb.... just thought i would check out the options.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The warwick is probably a good choice-from what I've heard from guys on the board, the Thumb 5 woudl bea good choice for your situation. Unless you really like the way it sounds/feels, I would stay away from the corvette because it is one of the heaviest basses I ahve ever played:eek:

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    A bit of a sideline, but does anyone know if you can stain ovangkol??? if so how does it look, i fancy a black stain on it.

6. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    A warick thumb is my dream bass. For heavy songs it cuts thru like butter, listen to some early Mudvayne, like LD 50. Or take a peak at their live DVD. Ru-D uses a thumb and he is awesome, cuts thru guitar like its not even there.

7. I've never been a real big fan of the thumb for some reason. they sound nice but I don't like the shape of the body. the sreamer LX or streamer Jazzman would be sweet though. I like both of those. see if you can play all three, they all have slightly different sounds. but I would go for one of the streamers because that is my favorite warwick body shape.

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I love the shape of the streamer too, i wonder if you use the correct woods you could get a streamer to sound like a thumb?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Do not make the mistake of overlooking the Streamer LX. Easily the best bass in your poll.