New Bass sometime soon. Just a heads up.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey everyone,

I've been looking for an upright because I need to for the university I'm going to be attending (hopefully).

It's at a local store, up in Welland, for 1,200.00 Canadian. Because I buy alot there, he's cutting the price, and it also has some dings and scratches in it. Nothing huge though. So that will cut too.

I'm going to play it and see if I like it and I will take pics, for hopefully any info from you.
    I was PMed by Greene, who is selling Uprights, and I want to order one in the future, but at the moment, this is just more convienent for me.

Is there Anything specific I should take a pic of on an Upright to give away make and such?

thanks alot!

Mark Wilson
  2. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Don't let the dings and scratches worry you. If it is structurally sound, it is all good. My bass has chunks out of it that were patched up by the best in the looks ugly, but is stronger than when new. Just about any bass of age will be beat up...with age comes scars.

If you are new to the bass, bring your teacher along with you (or someone else who knows what they are doing).

Is this Mr. Greene, Chris Greene from the FDP? If so, what is a guitar player doing selling basses? :meh:
  3. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    My main bass is scratched to hell and has bits missing but sounds fantastic. Things like that are purely cosmetic, and anyway, its all about sound. Some of the greatest musicians play on instruments that look like cheap junk-shop crap but if it works for you why change it?
  4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Green is the 'nick' for the owner (son of founder Jack Loeb) of Ideal Music. Ideal has been selling fine European Basses for 50 years or so. I have been there when I lived in NY. They have great prices on New and 'old stock' New Basses. A very reliable place to do business with no matter where in the world you live.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Mark, as much as I like Central(assuming that is where you are buying the bass), I wouldn't recommend buying one of their Double Basses. They are poor quality chinese instruments, that need more than $500 in setup. The instruments are relabeld Palantinos.

Your best bet is to keep looking through classifieds(triad, etc.) for an old plywood. There are some out there you just have to look!
  6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep. it's central. Darrin told me he would set it up for me for no charge. I'm going up there today to try it out, just to see.
    I need a double bass soon though, cause i need to get crackin for my audition.