Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass: Spector NS2000/5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, May 30, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Got this in trade from pmkelly. Killer axe. I've never owned a Spector, or really spent that much time on them in stores, but this is a very nice bass. It's the upper end of the Korean made ones, and is pretty sexy. It's black in person, but keeps being plum colored in pics.

The B is pretty good. Not ground moving, but nice, the frets are all pretty uniform, but I had to re-set the 11th and 13th frets. They had jumped out a bit (in shipping?), so I re-seated them, and the horrible buzz was no more. First neck though I've owne too.

Overall, I've been having a blast with this one. Only quibble is that archaic Spector bridge. I'm seriously thinking about going to a local metal shop to have them mill me a bidge that at least has saddle screws for intonations.

Other than that, had to raise the action a bit, and this has been putting a smile on my face since yesterday afternoon.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry these aren't JRbrown pics, my camera might not even know megapixels exist, and I'm a pretty horrible digital photographer.

[​IMG]

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Nice!
    I like the plumb color, even thought its black.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes,,, yes,,, I aprove of highly.

Yes.....yes.... very good.

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I am so glad that you are enjoying the bass, Brendan... and that it arrived ok! The tracking website didn't show anything for a few days, and I was starting to get paranoid! :p

I think that bass sounds great... Those EMGhz pickups are, I think, terribly underrated. And the preamp is very workable. My biggest beef was the string spacing. I am spoiled by my Lakland Skyline 5'ers... :D

I disliked the bridge as well... maybe a Hipshot replacement (or some other company) would work in there? just an idea...

I am glad that all worked out in the end... Just let me know whenever you want to try another trade! LOL! :D

P@

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Very nice!

I picked up a black stain NS2000/5 a few months ago, and I've been very happy with it...

However, I'm looking into replacing the pickups and preamp soon. I was thinking of sticking an Aguilar OBP-1 and some EMG TW series pickups in it, I can't wait to hear what it will sound like. :)

Also, have you noticed that the bass finish seems to change color very slightly depending on the light it's in? In some places, the bass looks like a very dark blue, and other places it looks brownish...I just thought it was rather... odd (not that I mind having a color changing bass :p)

I hope you're happy with your new bass!

7. Congrats on the new bass. Spectors are awesome basses!:)

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    While the stock electronics aren't really my bag (see- suck) I'm much more interested in tracking down either a a replacement bridge, or ultimately going to a machine shop, and having them fabricate me a beidge to fit into the spector foorprint (using either ABM saddles in channels or make new ones with intonation screws). Other than that, EMGs 35s and a EMG BTS are the only other thing I'd like to drop in. Maybe.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    At first, I wasn't a real big fan of the bridge either. But after spending some time messing around with it, it's gotten easier to adjust things, and I don't mind it anymore.

I think I'm going to buy the gold version of that bridge eventually just to match the gold tuners I put in a couple weeks ago.

And if I'm not mistaken...the preamp in your bass right now should be an EMG BTS.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nope. Faux EMG. Or, rather, EMG crap. The BTS has volume/pan and sweepable mids. This thing is a vol/vol bass/treble only. It's designed by EMG, but in the same way that the EMG-HZs are still technically being EMG, while still managing to be utter dookie.

Not that I don't have EMG love. Favorite pickups, actually. There's just no HZ love.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That sounds exactly like what came in my NS2000/5, I know it has the frequency selection switch in the control cavity.

You said it had sweepable mids? You must be thinking of the EMG BQ series...
    I'm not positive about any of this, but I haven't heard of any EMG onboard bass preamps or EQs other than these...

12. Lockout, EMG has a Korean or Chinese OEM build the 2D and 3D preamps to accompany EMG-HZ pickups. My old Dean had an EMG-2D two-band preamp that was actually pretty effective, if not particularly high-output.

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Was I correct about the EMG BQ pre's being the ones with sweepable mids though?

14. Not on my REX 2000/5. It clearly has "EMG BTS Control" stamped on the PCB, along with the DIP switches for the frequency.

The Korean Spectors are very strange in preamp selection, often they have blend controls(BTS System), others two volumes. Mine has two volumes, but is the BTS control.

Yes, the BQ series has a midrange sweep.

Brendan, mod it to 18V and drop in some 40DC's. It'll sound as good as a US one, guaranteed. As for the bridge, I much prefer it to something with intonation screws. Once I get the intonation set along with my action, I lock the bridge in place and tune back up, and my bass is solid as a rock. With Lo-Riders my B string is thunderous.

15. I would imagine that the Rex has a USA preamp due to it being a signature model. It's certainly EMG's practice to use the 2D and 3D otherwise--my old Dean Edge Custom 5 and a friend's ESP C-304 demonstrate this.

16. I was always under the impression that the preamps were the same, but your logic does make sense. I have experienced the OEM preamps in basses, notably the ESP's as you mentioned. But my REX electronics are all US(even the HZ's, which are manufactured in the US apparently).

Although you raise an interesting question, is a Korean REX actually a signature model? The Rex Brown name isn;t to be found anywhere, I assumed REX was just the Spector name for the body shape, after Rex's US neck through customs...

Anyway, I love my REX. I can assume that the OEM preamps take 18V which will do a lot for the tone.