Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass: Spector or Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joiner, Oct 12, 2000.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Hey @ all,

I´m looking for a new bass around $550. I have to basses in mind, on the one hand an Ibanez EDB500 with a Body that consists of Luthite. On the other hand a Spector NS2000Q4.
    I´ve tried both of them and I like them both very much.

My style is like Metallica or Iron Maiden.

Thanks for your help...

David / Joiner

2. misfitsfeind

misfitsfeind

May 3, 2000
    go with the spector, i got the q5. I use it to play metal and funk, its pretty versatile.

3. Between those two options, go with the Spector. but, the new ESP 5 stringer costs $550 new. try it out, i think you'll like it, if not, go with the spector.

4. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
  5. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    BTW..
    what do you think of the HoloFlash Finishes ? I think they are way ****ing cool...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can get the Q4 for that, it would be my choice.

Ibanez doesn't get that good(anymore{IMHO:)}) until you get up to the BTBs.

7. Is it possible to get a Q4 for that price?

8. fooshnaken

fooshnaken

Oct 12, 2000
    As a guitar/bass salesman(and bassist)who works in a dealership authorized by both Spector and Ibanez, I would take a Spector any day of the year. It is not only higher quality in make and sound, but also is more versitle.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind! It's not my bag, but hey...go for it!

10. Real Spector Basses have carved/curved ergonomic bodies...

Come on...don't be shy, step up to the plate and go for a real Spector, a regular NS2000.

BTW, those holoflash finishes are g@y looking:D:D:D

11. Look at a Czech-made Dean Edge Custom. You can probably get it with tax and case for under $550, and it's a very good instrument for an amateur or quasi-pro.

12. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Well, I think amberburst looks more g@y...

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Between those two.. I would choose the Spector.
    But I bought a Toby Pro 4 at http://www.musicyo.com instead.
    :)
    I bought it at $429 but now they cost $569!!!
    Why do you think they raised the price??

14. Joiner, You are spot on! The amberburst does look g@y, that's because it is nothing more than, at best, a very thin veneer glued on to a basswood body, or at worst a decal applied directly to the wood to make it "look" like a quilted maple top. Maybe the "Q" really stands for "quasi"?
    heck, who knows.

I think the "Holoflash" thing is like a tattoo, I hope one still likes it after the newness of it is gone.....

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Beacause... nobody bought them...? :D