New Bass Stand that Makes Wives Happy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vanselus, Apr 16, 2003.

1. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    As many of you know I recently was married (3/9/03). Now we all know that even the most tolerant wives aren't big fans of basses all over every room in the house... and that's just the lucky ones.

My groomsmen decided to build me a bass cabinet, one that Amber would be happy with as well as me - and that would save tons of room in my 1300 sq/ft condo, now that it's holding 2 people instead of one!

Anyway, it wasn't too hard, but I was beyond amazed at the result - this is the joint effort of an Electrical Engineer, a Construction Foreman, a Programmer, and a Physical Therapist ;)

You can see larger pics here:
    Whole Cabinet
    Top Shelf

Or see all the pics here.

Let me know what you think - hopefully this will give some of you other woodworkers some ideas! The top holds 5 basses and the bottom will hold both my GS112 cabinets and DB359 head, plus tons of effects, cables, boxes, etc...

Thanks! :D
  2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    that is sweet! wow i'd buy one of them! really, that thing is incredibly nice.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Not only is that a nice cabinet, but those are some really nice basses to go with it.
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    hey thanks! i'm a lucky guy :D
  5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Wow thats very cool:) I like that instead of lookin at "fine china" or "nic-naks" in your home you get to look at some very neat basses:D :D :D :bassist:
  6. Very nice piece of furniture to put those other five very nice pieces of furniture in. :D
  7. very very nice!

I noticed that they built it so that you can't fit any more basses in...wife's probably happy about that too! :D
  8. great, i got married in january, and i'm still trying to figure out what to do with all these damn vases, blenders, crystal junk and cookbooks.
  9. nice creation dude...patent'll make big bucks...also the bottom can be used for holding a cab/practice amp! aww man...dude,sell this bad'll be living in a MANSION!

It looks really nice in an artsy fartsy way and a furniture way....

10. You've just helped spur many inspirations to do something like that, I'm sure!

I have been going back and forth between just leaving basses in cases laying around or hanging them up on a wall to get them out of the way. Was pretty sure I was stuck leaving them in cases due to the dry climate here and the subsequent long-term damage that could result from leaving them out.

After seeing your design, I might just build something like that myself, but throw a door on it and make it a big humidor. Perhaps if I had thought about it long enough I would have come up with a nice cabinet design like that, but I'm glad to have been spared the needed time. :cool: Thanks.
  11. That is soooo coool!!! I really like:rolleyes: idea. It could be even cooler if it had a combination lock on the front. The humidifier is such a good idea. I hear a lot of people building guitar rooms in their houses so their guitars stay in the perfect temp/humidity but does anyone do that with their basses?
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Hey, that looks great! Almost suprising I've never seen anything quite like it before. Give Aaron and the other guys my compliments. :)

P.S. Wrong Robot - isn't that the way it already is? (just not in the pics)
  13. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ooh, thats very classy!

if the basses were all enclosed behind a sealed glass door or something, it would be a great display case, but without the harmful effects of the elements!

I kinda dig the whole "unorganized clutter of bass related junk" look maybe i'll hold off on anything until I absolutely have to....
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  15. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice!!!!!!! although I prefer having my basses all around my place, like plants or somthing (well, they are made of wood, rigth?)

One question: what is that bass with the E between the MTD and the Fodera?
  16. Wow, that is super cool! But you know, if you ever run out of room in that cabinet, I could store that beautiful Modulus Flea Bass at my house, free of charge! ;) (quickly runs off with Flea Bass and moves to the upper Yukon) HA! You'll never find me now!...wait I told you where I was going. DRAT!

That is a sweet case though!

And CaracasBass, that's an Elrick bass.
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Thanx BnS!!!!!
  18. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    maninbox - that's the idea, bro! screw the nic-naks!

wrongrobot - yeah, it's built to the size of 2 GS112's & a DB359 for that exact reason

craig - Amber was dying laughing when she read that! So true!

3 crotch - believe me, i FEEL your pain.

BnS - MY flea!

AND all of you, I guess if anyone really wants a custom bass cabinet, we can certainly make one for you. If you'd like to discuss it further, just let me know.

Since somebody asked, from left to right:
    MTD 535, Elrick NJS, Fodera Emperor, Sadowsky V5, Modulus Flea

Seriously, thanks everyone for your comments - glad you like it as much as I do! Now get up and build one too so your wife is happy! :)
  19. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am definately building one of those as soon as I have enough basses to fill it. Congratulations for having such cool friends. :D