Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass sticky pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassosaurus, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Just brought home a new MM Stingray. Looking fwd to posting some pics, but first things first. I took off the clear pickguard protector sticker and it left a sticky residue over the whole thing.

I tried a liitle Simple Green (diluted) on a cloth and rubbed a small section - didn't help. I'm thinking a scotch brite pad but don't want to scratch the guard, so I figured I'd check in here first.

Any ideas?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What variety of pickguard? Pearloid?

3. Alchohol, and not jim beam :) some isopropyl or whatnot, it dissolves adhesives fairly well in my experience.

4. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
  5. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Yep, Black perloid - on clear nat finish - rswd board - she's a beaut and sounds/plays every bit as good!

Is that a product name? Won't eat the plastic though?

Thought about that, but afraid it might eat away at (dull) the plastic???

I'll check back - I'm actually practicing drums right now - sitting in w/ wife's band next Sat - have a week to learn how to play :meh: short set at least - it's coming along....

6. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    in my art lesson, i was told to remove the glue resi. by using the same tape which cause the resi. and small amount of wd40 can do the job well, just let it soak into the resi and lightly w off the thing

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, definitely Goo Gone. Not WD-40.

8. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I agree wholeheartedly

9. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Yep, Goo Gone's a product. It's easy to find, has a nice smell, and won't eat through anything but the sticky. I've had to use it for the same reason.

10. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Can do!

U cats R the best :D

pics of the new thumper soon ta come...

11. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    Naptha (painting department) is an excellent grease/oil/sticky remover that will not harm finishes or plastics.

12. Thanks!, Bassosaurus for the post. I've had the same problem but kept putting it off, and lookie here! Answers! That's why I keep coming back! :D

And Thanks, TB!