Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass?? suggestions welcome (needed)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arcades, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Arcades

Arcades

Jan 5, 2001
    I've been playing bass for about 3 years. I have some extra cash to throw around, so I figured, why not get a better bass? I have about $1300 to spend, but I don't know what kind of bass is good (I don't stay current on bass stuff). I wanted to get a 5 string and I was reading some reviews today that said the Peavey Cirrus/5 was a nice bass. I play a lot of Metallica, so I like big, fat sound. As of now I'm going to get the Peavey. Feel free to try and persuade me or inform me otherwise :)

2. My choice is the G&L L-2500. They are handmade in Fullerton California in the shop where Leo Fender spent the last 12 years of his life. They are extremely versatile instruments and sound as big as a house.

3. Arcades

Arcades

Jan 5, 2001
    How expensive are they? The cirrus/5 i'm looking at cost $1350 with case. Anyone know if thats reasonable?

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi!!
    Welcome to Talkbass!
    Well, after reading your profile, my first suggestion is to first invest in a better amp. That Peavey Basic 112 wont sound good with a 5 string. (Believe me, I have the Basic60 wich is the same with an older name)
    For 5 String Basses.. (after buying a $600 amp) I would reccomend the Spector NS2000/5 , Cort Curbow 5 String (With a Bartolini Upgrade),or even buy it Used... A Warwick Corvette as an example.. or an Ernie Ball Stingray.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    $1350 for a Cirrus?
    uhmm
    No way!! Im not paying. I would prefeer to get a used Modulus for that kind of money.

6. Arcades

Arcades

Jan 5, 2001
    What would be reasonable for the cirrus? what about a larger Peavey combo like a tnt? better?

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ifabara doesn't like wood basses that much. No offense, Ifabara, but the Cirruses are sweet basses, and well worth that price.

Arcades, if you like a woody sounding bass, in your price range, the Cirrus is one of the best deals.

Other basses that I would consider at that price are Warwick Corvette or Thumb bolt on(I don't like 'em, but a lot of people do, and they are well made), Pedulla Rapture, Rapture J2 or Rapture PJ, MusicMan Stingray 5 and G&L L2500.

If you are looking used, you can get more bass for the money. Modulus(I don't like em, but a lot do), Zon(awesome basses), Pedulla Thunderbolts, MVPs and Thunderbasses, for a little more, Lakland 55-94, Alembics, even Ken Smiths can be found at this price.

The main thing is, play several different models, and most importantly, don't listen to me or anybody else - let your hands and ears make the final decision.

And good advice from Ifabara on the amp - that Basic 112 won't cut it with a 5 - heck, it won't even let you hear the true sound of a really good 4 stringer.

Good luck in your seach:), I am currently looking for a fretless 5, which is unfortunately hard to find in stock(most dealers I talk to say they will order it if I buy it:rolleyes: ) and they are even harder to find used.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I dont like wood basses??
    Hehe.. My Dream Bass is a Warwick Streamer LX 6 String "The Sound of Wood".. well. after the Curbow XT33 7 String and a Modulus Quantum 6.
    hehehe..
    I just say "Composite is the Future" because I like man made materials..I like new stuff and technology (Although I still prefeer the tone of a Maple made bass, specially for slapping.. ,,, that makes me think of a spector)

10. Arcades

Arcades

Jan 5, 2001
    Peavey devote? lol, actually after my good ole' milestone II i swore i'd never buy another peavey, but today i heard the cirrus 5 and i thought it was great, unfortunately the guy let me play it on a TNT peavey combo.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Man.. this forum is getting faster than ICQ chat!!
    hehe
    So.. Dont buy Peavey.
    :)

12. Arcades

Arcades

Jan 5, 2001
    Like I said, though, I know nothing about basses, I just know I love to play em. For example, everything you listed in your posts, ..... looked like bar code numbers to me :) I do however appreciate the suggestions and help

13. Arcades

Arcades

Jan 5, 2001
    is there some sort of icq "bass chat"? that would be cool

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  15. Regarding the G&L L-2500, I just had a look on http://www.gbase.com and it seems the going price is about $1100 although I've heard of people getting them for less. Ignore the one dealer listed on gbase, Flynn Guitars, who seem to be WAY overpriced! $1100 or less is a much more typical price.

Click on this link to see one:

http://www.gbase.com/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=129448

Here's another nice one:

http://www.gbase.com/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=236443

[Edited by Rob W on 01-06-2001 at 12:53 AM]

16. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I agree with Ifabara. For the same amount of money you expect to spend on a bass, you can get an excellent combo or a pretty good head & cab. Believe me, the more head room you have, the better you sound.

17. Save your money until you know what you want. Seriously. I have made that mistake in the past and lost money reselling what I didn't need till I finally settled on a '96 P bass that was actually cheaper than a couple of the basses I bought and then shifted again. The only bass I didn't lose money on was a '64 Jazz bass. I am still owed for the Stu Hamm!

The point is when you upgrade, you upgrade for a reason. There is no point in getting a 'better' bass if your current bass does everything you need. So, work out what your current bass doesn't do, and then choose your next bass on that basis.

Andy

18. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Just save some bucks, and then go for an ESH Notorious II or Stinger 5 String and a Warwick Take 12. Thats a great combo.

19. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Just thought I would throw in this little idea: If you want a nice combo for around $600, I would highly reccomend the Peavey combo 115, or combo210. I got one for $580 about a year ago and I love it. I play a lot of meatllica and metal too, and it sounds great. As far as a new bass goes, the cirrus sounds like a good choice, but like the other guys said, it might be a good idea to think about it for a while, try it out, try out other basses, do research, etc. I know it sounds like a hassle, but if you are going to make an investment like that it's worth your time to check it out first. If you want more info on that amp, feel free to email me.

20. I would (shockingly) recommend a Spector NSCR5FM. Check them out @ http://www.spectorbass.com ($1995 retail). Find a nearby dealer and try one out. For a short time they are selling for ONLY $995 w/ case (far less than normal and they are new) at http://www.musiciansfriend.com. I own 2 of them and HIGHLY recommend them!!!

[Edited by Mr. Dead on 01-06-2001 at 10:16 AM]