1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass suggestions with wider body than Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krikcet, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    Hello! So I'm looking around for a new bass to expand my pallet a bit. My current bass is a Guild Starfire ii (which I love dearly) strung with flatwounds. I've grown very accustomed to the wide body, and find smaller bodies, such as Fender Jazz bodies, uncomfortable. I also really like the neck profile, which is a little rounder and deeper than some other basses.

I played an MTD Kingston at my local shop that felt like it may have been a nice compromise between the guild and fender shape, but I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys might have. Feel free to ask any questions!

2. shawn1288

shawn1288

Apr 20, 2013
    Gibson grabber if solid body is your goal? Ibanez btb also

3. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I did like the Gibson Grabber, but I’d like to find something a little cheaper if possible. I’ll keep an eye out for deals on that or the ripper though. Do the newer Gibson basses have wider bodies as well? I wish stores around me had better stock

4. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I’m thinking an older Yamaha BB series (424/1024/2024).

Woofer and two fingers like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First thing that came to mind for me too.

6. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    Wow those look pretty sweet.

7. keto

keto Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I haven’t owned one, but they are very liked and respected around here. Messed around with one on clearout one day, should have bought it.