Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass suggestions???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amnesty18, Jul 29, 2004.

1. amnesty18

amnesty18

Jul 29, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I currently play an Ibanez GSR 200 4-string fretted. My style includes a lot of slapping and good "chill" grooves such as Sublime, RHCP, and some of the classics. I'm looking for a new bass under $500 possibly in the Fender area, but I am not sure which bass has the right tone for my slap riffs. Can anyone help? :)

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Pack a lunch, and head for Guitar Center and try out the gear. The simple reason being that they stay open the longest.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Dean Edge series, Dean Sledgehammer series, Warwick Rockbass series

I tend to stay away from fenders for slap use.

Dean Q4 Edge with EMG HZ is what i use, i think its a pretty damn solid bass for the price, only thing i have to complain is the bridges are a bit cheap metal, and the saddles wear down pretty fast.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

MIM Fender Jazz.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If you like the sound of the GSR you already have, I suggest checking out the SR's and the BTB series as well. Both about the top of your price range, but might have what your looking for.

7. motorhall

motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    Boy, you said it. You really need to play a lot of basses so that you can figure out what sounds good and bad for your tastes. I've been beating on every bass in town for the last month and I still can't decide what I want for my next toy. Even within a given model of bass I've found big tonal differences. Go to the store, pick out a good amp, set all of the EQ flat, and find the bass that has the tone that is closest to the sound you want without having to tweak the amp.

In the price range you are looking at, possibly an Ibanez SRX500, MTD Kingston, or maybe a Schecter C-4. Maybe you could stretch your budget a bit and get a Music Man Sub.

8. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I have to say that the slap tone of my former MIM Fender Jazz is something I miss, which is why I'm getting one again as a backup.

I love my Benavente much more, but I think for slap I was more partial to the Jazz with the neck pickup at 10 and the bridge set low or off.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You solod the neck pickup for slapping? Odd.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why? The Fender Jazz is one of the premier slap sounds.

11. I'd say check out Korean Spectors.

12. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Sounded good to me. The bridge pickup was usually low, and the neck was funky!

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Usuallly on a jazz to me it seems the bridge pickup has a funkier, more trebely tone and the neck pickup is deeper, more mellow?

Hmph, you sure you understood which knobs were which?

14. I like both pickups on full with the Jazz, but if I had to choose one for fat slap tone, it'd definitely be the neck pickup. And yes, I understand the knob layout of a Fender Jazz.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, FAT slap tone, well.. thats different.

16. I guess I spent a lot of time with basses with dual humbuckers and generally found that blending both pickups easily didn't do the same thing for the tone that it did on a passive J setup, so I would usually favour the neck pickup on those types of basses. But with a J, it's really easy--50/50.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Makes sense.

Been a while since i had a jazz (almost a year) so i forget exactly what it sounded like with different pickup blends..

18. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I think you would like either a jazz bass or a different Ibanez.

Check out the SR500.

19. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

Man, I roll my neck pick up back to like 80%, and bridge full. Thats where the growl is, brutha!

20. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    For some reason, i never found the body style very comfortable for playing up high ( like i prefer when im slappin') and i like a bit more trebbly hi fi sound then the fat thumps of most fenders ive played..