1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godblender, Mar 11, 2009.

1. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    It's time for a new instrument and I'm having some difficulty deciding what I should go with...so any help would be much appreciated. Firstly I like a thick/meaty punchy tone, something that can really cut through a mix. And I also want something that plays fast with a thinner neck and low action. I've been searching e-bay for months trying to find a good used Aria SB, but none match up to the asking price. I'm willing to spend upwards of $1000.

Some ideas I've been tossing around are: MM Sterling or Stingray, Warwick $$ or a custom-made Carvin. Problem with Carvin is there aren't any around me and I don't know anyone who plays one (but some of the features they offer could be what I'm looking for).

Any suggestions and/or tips would be great. Thanks.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    IMO the Warwicks have very thick necks - that might not be suitable for your tastes.

$1000 brings in a wide range of options. How bout a good ol' Fender Jazz bass? I think you could even score a nice American made one for that price - maybe not brand new though...

The Geddy Lee Jazz has the thinnest neck I've ever played. U can get a used one between $500-$700, or the brand new ones now list at $999 I believe. :meh:

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    What you just described was a MM Sterling.I own 5 of them,and don't play any other basses anymore.I prefer the single H models,but I just got an HH,and it's pretty nice too. Lots of tone options.Go to the EBMM BBS and look in the basses section.There are always a few there.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Hmmm....."thick/meaty punchy tone, something that can really cut through a mix", "something that plays fast with a thinner neck and low action"....

EBMM Bongo HH. Maybe a Sterling HH, but the Bongo is super-thick sounding and will cut through a mix no sweat. Neck isn't the thinnest, but it definitely isn't thick.

5. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    I'm gassing for a Bongo. This is a great informative video about them: