New Bass Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pete Crane, Sep 23, 2002.

1. OK...I have a Conklin GT-5. Great bass. I love it and plan to play it for years to come. The tone and playability are wonderful. The "problem" band plays some older songs.

For example:

The Letter - The Boxtops
    Come Together - The Beatles
    White Room - Cream
    Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
    All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

So, the Conklin is great for the newer music we do, but I need a different vibe for the 60's/70's songs.

I'd like to spend around $300 to $400 for a good bass.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One word:

One Word Quantifier:

Take from that what you will.
  3. Two words:

I. Agree.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Two letters: EQ. I see no reason why that Conklin should prove inadequate on classic stuff like the examples you mention. I routinely play sixties rock/r&b/blues on a Modulus Quantum 6 with no loss of appropriate tonal "authenticity." Remember, tone is in the brain, hands AND gear.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think you can get a good phat sound out of a conklin.. but if its look and sound.. either a Fender Precision or a Jazz... that should do the trick
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would guess that over half those songs were recorded with something other than a Fender.
    Trying some flats and fiddling with the EQ sound like good suggestions.
  7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    maybe a good excuse to buy an old Gibson EBO or something....there has to be at least one good reason to buy a Gibson bass somewhere, maybe this is it....LOL

I agree that most of these tunes were not recorded on a Fender....maybe a Vox or something cool that wont cost you much at all
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :confused: I've played new and older songs with my Warwicks and the Eshenbaugh. EQing may be your answer, however ANY excuse is a damn good one to get a new bass. Grab a P.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree. I also use a Modulus Quantum (5, though), for this type of music quite regularly. And a Peavey Cirrus. Both of these basses (especially the Quantum) are usually considered to be "modern" sounding basses. BUT, with a few minor adjustments to the EQ, I can come close with either one to getting a more "vintage" type of sound.

Of course, as far as my wife knows, I need another bass because my current ones don't nail that sound. What she doesn't know isn't going to hurt her, and it will gain me a new bass.:D :p
  10. Add a little foam rubber under the strings right next to the bridge. I know that this goes against everything a modern bass is suppose to sound like. That is the point. Old Precisions and Jazz basses came with a mute on the strings to try and simulate an upright bass. If you wanna really get that old sound, you have to mute the flats.