1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pete Crane, Sep 23, 2002.

1. OK...I have a Conklin GT-5. Great bass. I love it and plan to play it for years to come. The tone and playability are wonderful. The "problem" is...my band plays some older songs.

For example:

The Letter - The Boxtops
    Come Together - The Beatles
    White Room - Cream
    Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
    All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

So, the Conklin is great for the newer music we do, but I need a different vibe for the 60's/70's songs.

I'd like to spend around $300 to $400 for a good bass.

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One word:

Precision.

One Word Quantifier:

Flats.

Take from that what you will.

3. Two words:

I. Agree.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Two letters: EQ. I see no reason why that Conklin should prove inadequate on classic stuff like the examples you mention. I routinely play sixties rock/r&b/blues on a Modulus Quantum 6 with no loss of appropriate tonal "authenticity." Remember, tone is in the brain, hands AND gear.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think you can get a good phat sound out of a conklin.. but if its look and sound.. either a Fender Precision or a Jazz... that should do the trick

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would guess that over half those songs were recorded with something other than a Fender.
    Trying some flats and fiddling with the EQ sound like good suggestions.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    maybe a good excuse to buy an old Gibson EBO or something....there has to be at least one good reason to buy a Gibson bass somewhere, maybe this is it....LOL

I agree that most of these tunes were not recorded on a Fender....maybe a Vox or something cool that wont cost you much at all

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :confused: I've played new and older songs with my Warwicks and the Eshenbaugh. EQing may be your answer, however ANY excuse is a damn good one to get a new bass. Grab a P.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree. I also use a Modulus Quantum (5, though), for this type of music quite regularly. And a Peavey Cirrus. Both of these basses (especially the Quantum) are usually considered to be "modern" sounding basses. BUT, with a few minor adjustments to the EQ, I can come close with either one to getting a more "vintage" type of sound.

Of course, as far as my wife knows, I need another bass because my current ones don't nail that sound. What she doesn't know isn't going to hurt her, and it will gain me a new bass.:D :p

10. Add a little foam rubber under the strings right next to the bridge. I know that this goes against everything a modern bass is suppose to sound like. That is the point. Old Precisions and Jazz basses came with a mute on the strings to try and simulate an upright bass. If you wanna really get that old sound, you have to mute the flats.