New Bass: Tell me what you think. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Donkeybass, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Hey guys, I just got my new Carvin Bass last week. It's the first bass I have ever bought for myself, my Fender Jazz was a present 7 years ago. It sounds great. One thing I'm going to have to do is change my playing style, because compared to playing on the Fender, I clank every fret, and you can hear tons of string noise when I move my fingers. It hears everything!

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5

Personally, I think it looks great and has great tone and sustain. I am completley impressed.
  2. sexy...

might wanna take it back...

it has an extra string on it;)

nice bass dude. nice finish....
  3. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Thanks, and I think the bass must have been exposed to some gamma radiation, because when I first got it a few days ago, it was a four stringer and pink! J/K

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

That's one HIGH OUTPUT pup combination!!
  5. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    yeah it is insanely sensitive. but its beautiful because unless its balanced all the way to the front J-sytle pickup, there is no noise whatsoever. THAT is definatley something I am not used to!

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    NICE! green burst! the best.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Yeah, I have a B-4 with that combination.. The J simply HOWLS!!! A little noisy, but such a unique tone!!

Again, congrats!!!

8. That's the nicest looking Carvin I've ever seen!! Congrats, hope you enjoy it. How is the neck on it? I've heard Carvin necks are fairly thin, but if I'm mistken then I might actually consider one for my next bass. Green burst of course.:D
  9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

nice looking bass. I've never had a bad thing to say about Carvin basses, I still own 3.
  10. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    The neck is FAST. Especially for a fiver. The particular neck that I chose was a 5pc Maple/koa/maple/koa/maple. It feels like a rock and sustains for days! I recommend it because the profile of the neck is thin.

11. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    does it smell like carmex? my friends new carvin did... hehe
  12. Really like that finish. Never given much thought about buying a Carvin, but that one is definately a looker.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congratulations, man! I've always said Carvin makes beautiful basses, and this one is especially nice. I used to live two miles from the factory, and was cool to go over to there on a Saturday and play each and every bass on the wall.

Regarding your string noise, Carvin usually sets their instruments up with a very low action. It takes a light touch to avoid the noise. Also, I've found that piezo pickups are real noisy. You may need to roll off some treble to reduce the rattle.
  14. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Beautiful Bass!!!

You know what they say about people who like Green??

<Hint> Einstein </Hint>

15. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Wow thats cool I ordered one a couple days ago, its blueburst though. Ill post pics when I get it.
  16. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX

I figure I'll give it another week or so to make sure all the glue is dry and it has stopped settling, and then I'll take a hack at working with the action. I did examine the neck and it is straight as an arrow, so I'll have to put just a smidge of forward bow in it.

Out of all of their selections, blueburst and greenburst were the only two I considered. I think either one will look dynamite. Did you get flamed or quilted maple? Also, did you get the P-Series?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My bass will be very similar but i got flame maple with the greenburst. Your bass has made me consider going 5 string i know the 5 pice neck is good but i wouldent want those strips in the midle of my flame top. Did you open you control cavity yet it looks like they are very well put together in their. Any commnets on the P series yet. Thanks I am very happy for you and your new lover oh i mean bass;)
  18. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Carvin has several options that they dont have listed on their website. One of them is the "Flame or Quilt top covers 5 piece neck-through-body." This, obviously, is an option so that your 5pc neck doesnt show through the flame. Just a thought...
  19. switchblade

switchblade Guest

May 31, 2003
    London, England, UK
    A very nice bass. Good choice :p
  20. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah man that looks swell.. how does she sound/feel?? i've only played one carvin... and it wasn't a good experience.. but that was a few years ago