Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass that makes my Bongos look normal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 15, 2005.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, I went to the local Music Go Round to pick up a small, cheap practice amp, and I took along some stuff that has just been gathering dust and taking up space.

I walked out with a Squier 15 watt amp that sounds decent enough for what I need it for, and I also walked away with this:

Yamaha SBV

[​IMG]

The neck feels like a broken in Jazz Bass, and the fretwork is unbelievable. With some D'Addario Chromes, this bass plays like a million bucks. And, it sounds phenominal, too--with a pick and the neck pickup soloed, it nails the Joe Osborn tone. Out of pocket expense? $60. :hyper:

I brought it home, and cleaned it up--the original owner never played it. The story was that he won it from a magazine, but wasn't a bass player. Other than some grime and a single scratch on the back (which might come out with some buffing), it's pretty close to mint. I don't know if it was set up differently than the rest, but the fretwork rivals most anything I've played. I was able to get the action as low as I wanted it, and I can still dig in pretty hard (and with a pick) with no fretbuzz, whatsoever. I've really wanted a blue bass, too--A definite keeper.

Here it is with the incredible, inedible egg:

[​IMG]
    Makes the Bongo look less goofy, don't it? :D

The Bongo is missing the pickguard because I installed a Bass Mute. I'm going to modify my abalone pickguard to fit with the Mute installed, but for the time being, I've got a naked Bongo. The Mute adds a bunch of new tone options that are really nice (as if it didn't already have enough).

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Freak!

j/k killer pair!

Tell me more about the mute, I've almost bought one for my fretless 6 a few times now... do you think it's worth it?

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I love the way the Bongos play and sound, but really have a hard time with their looks. But your (without the pick guard) actually looks good. It doesn't have that toilet seat look. It just looks more like a next generation MM. Keep the pick guard off.

Have fun with the other bass too!

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You think plain white without a pickguard is the one without the toilet seat look? ;)

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--ya beat me to it. Lid down, baby. :D

Of course, it really looks toiletine with the abalone pickguard...

Say what you will, it still sounds/looks/plays better than 99.999% of the basses out there, to me.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yes, tell us more about the bass mute. I'm completely in the dark about this thing. I probably wouldn't install it on a Bongo, but see, I have this neck-on-a-stick thing.....

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    hey Jack! I loved that video of your band!

Here is the one that I keep almost buying
    http://www.bassmute.com/

It looks like that is the same

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep, that's exactly what it is. I wanted one for years, and never could Fodera (US distributor) to respond. Luckily, I found one on Talkbass, and was able to snatch it up (for much less than new, even).

It works as advertised, that's for sure. Turns flats into really thumpy flats.

I don't know if it'd work on the neck on a stick (or, that you'd want to shell out the $100+ for a new one), or if you'd even want to use it on that. The Mute is designed to be able to switch between mute/no mute at the flick of a switch--would you ever not want to have it engaged on the stick?

James--I think it was worth the $100 shipped that I paid for a 5 string version. Whether it's worth it to pony up for a new 6 string version, I can't say. But, it is well made, and does exactly what he says it will.

I'm in the process of recording some samples, so rest assured there is a Bass Mute thread on the horizon.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    sweet! I'll be watching for it!

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well thank you, Mister Hart! On the video compliment, I mean. If we rehearsed, I bet we'd be better.

You're right about the mute, Jason. Too much $$ for the Pace, so I'll probably stick with the polish rag stuck under the strings (ugly, but it works).

11. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Those Yammies play very nicely and feel great in the hands. I played a red one a while back and remember just how easy it was to play.

The Bongo looks nice without the guard. Maybe a clear custom guard would work to keep the look and fit the mute.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Get thee to a nunnery, go. :D

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've always liked those Yamahas, do they balance well? Isn't there a TBer who collects this particular model?

14. I played bassmonkeee's new Yamaha on Saturday night. KILLER bass!! A definite contender for "score of the year".

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No, thanks. I'd rather not burst into flame setting foot inside. :bag:

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, a clear guard would still have to be cut to allow for the mute. They won't both fit without modification as the Mute is too thick to fit on top of the pickguard.

I was thinking a clear pickguard might be interesting, too.

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    it balances very well--better than I thought it would. Of course, I use wide leather straps, so it wasn't too terribly surprising.

I did a search here for SBV, but nothing came up. I'd love to see a collection of these.

I love this thing--it reminds me of the 1st generation Japanese cartoons I watched as a kid. :hyper:

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bassmonkee,

I had an identical bass to yours for almost five years. I sold it a couple of months ago to a guy with the username 'Arrowheadguitars' - he has a collection of about 10 I think.

I did enjoy the bass - it has a very nice jazz-bass vibe to it. I always play sitting down and found the body shape to be quite comfortable. You got a great deal on that bass!

The model has been discussed a couple of times on Talkbass - a search for 'SBV500' should throw up some results.

19. Venious

Venious Guest

Sep 1, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow, this bass mute thing has my attention.

Does the Mute get in the way of typical palm mute/thumb pluck style playing? It's hard to tell from the pictures how far the foam mutes stick up above the strings.