New Bass! This could be the one...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Well,

As I'm sure many TB frequents have seen ove rthe past few weeks, I've been inquiring about many different basses. Throughout the past few weeks, I have been in and out of my local GC trying out anythign and everything I could get my hands on, and taking basses home to give them a shot while under the 30 day money back guarantee.

I tried the MM stingray...didn't cut it.
    Played numerous spectors...didn't cut it.
    Brought home a Warwick FNA Jazzman...didn't cut it.
    So yesterday I went in to return the warwick and get my money back so i could just sit on the cash for a while (not literally) and just think about what bass i wented...

Then I saw it on display for their nationwide clearance sale. They had the Fender American Deluxe FMT Jazz Bass in a cherry burst, which i had tried and loved weeks before, but it was a bit out of my price range...(1575 w/o tax). But it was on sale for $1199.99! So I decided to bring it home. I went straight to a band practice, and got to try it out right away. And it sounded FANTASTIC. It was everything that I loved about my old jazz bass, and it did everything that my old jazz could not. The tone(s) were excellent...crisp, punchy, warm, could do the whole lineup. Great mid-rangey punch to cut throguh with a great slap tone.

So I've decided to give it one more rehearsal and then make a final decision.

The only other basses I had in mind to 'try out' were a modulus genesis (which was a bit more expensive and harder to find) and a Kubicki only dilemma is that I really can't try them out at this point. If I do, I would have to return the jazz bass to get the funds to buy/try the other two basses and if after all that, I think the jazz bass takes the cake, I would end up paying the full price for it again.

So I now must decide if I can live without knowing if I'd like the other two better...It sounds liek I'm uncertain about the jazz-bass, but I really do love the tone. It's just the thought of "what if???" concerning the other 2 basses.

Any comments on this fender or the modulus genesis or kubicki ex-factor which I mentioned earlier would be great! I know it's my decision and I haveta do what i feel is 'right' in my mind, but input and comments from others are very welcome.

Also, can someone tell me if having a bass with a string-thru bridge (through the body), creates more string tension? What does it do besides increasing sustain of the notes?

Oh, and I'll post some pics of this beaut in a minute...

2. pictures in a while...I haveta recharge the battery for the digi-cam.
  3. I'm extremely pleased with my American Deluxe. The preamp really does it for me. Enjoy it!
  4. one last time...with a picture
  5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    hot damn. graham do you know when BotB is at central?
  6. last one...

Oh, and matt...I'm not sure on that. I'm guessing you'd have an easier time finding out actually, cuz I believe it's the junior class (council) that runs it every year...
  7. Stop second guessing yourself. If you're comfortable with the jazzbass, then keep it. It looks like a really nice bass that I would consider buying someday when I have money. Fair price too. Best of luck with it.