NEW BASS TIME! Ibanez SR500 vs EDA900...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Get the EDA!

3 vote(s)
  2. Get the Soundgear!

7 vote(s)
  3. Screw that, get a Fender Jazz!

12 vote(s)
  1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It's that time of year again! (for me anyway) I've been looking for a new bass, and I think I narrowed it down to the Ibanez SR500 ( and the Ibanez EDA900 ( They're roughly the same price.

The EDA I'm looking at is being blown out for $720 Canadian (INCLUDING GST). It's been in the store for a looooong time, but it plays very nice, although it looks like a "Jetson bass" and the EQ is very confusing. I got some very nice tones out of it though, and it's so comfy to play!

The SR500 is brand new at another store, and it plays very nicely and is extremely light. I'm just wondering why it's so light... I mean it's noticeable lighter than the EDA, but it's made of mahogany and wenge. :confused: It's the exact same price as the EDA, which makes things difficult. Another thing I'm wondering is why I could barely get a nice bass-heavy tone out of it. I played it through an Ampeg BA-210 set flat, and the only way I could get a good tone was by cranking the bass and mids and almost turning off the treble. But I'm told it was unpacked that morning, so it's probably just the strings.

I play in a rock band, and I need to cut through, so I'll need strong mids. Other than that, I like a nice warm, round fat tone, no "zing" and no harshness. As well, since my main bass (Ibanez BTB405) is a heavy mofo, I want a nice light bass.

I've heard some great things about the EDA, some horrible things about the EDA, and basically nothing about the SR500. I'm probably going to be buying one of these basses within the week, so can people who have hopefully compared both these basses give me some advice?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Anything but the EDA.. I hated mine and I highly don't recommend it.
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the SR now. I mean, it actually looks like a bass... plus I can get $80 by trading in my Boss OC-2 in! :hyper:

About the Jazz Bass thing, there's a nice MIM I was looking at for $600 CAD, but it's a lot heavier than the SR or EDA, so it'll be my last resort.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, it depends what you're going to play. The SR sounds cleaner, and smoother. It also has 24 frets. It's meant for newer types of music. The fender maintains the classic shape and tone, and is great for rock and jazz. Is weight really that big of an issue to you?
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like both. Well, actually, I haven't played an SR500, but I played a 900 which has the same electronics. It was a nice bass. The EDA is pretty different. The magnetic pup seemed almost P-bassish (a good thing IMO) and the piezo was, well, interesting. If you're a slapper, you might want to give the EDA a good try-out. One thing the EDA will NOT do is "jaco-tone". The SR500 will come a lot closer since it has a bridge pup.
  6. LeftyBassPlayer

LeftyBassPlayer Guest

Apr 2, 2004
    Dude you got to go for the SR500 I mean all SR models are kick ass. I mean I have a SR300DX but im saving some money for a SR500. :bassist:
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Slava: Have you tried the SRX500?
  8. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    PB: No, haven't tried the SRX500, but I've tried the SRX505, SRX300, SRX400 and the SRX700. lol... I didn't really like any of them as much as the SR, but the 505 is a fine bass. Too heavy though, and I already have a good 5 sring.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm pretty sure I'm going for the SR now. :cool:

Flatwound: I'm not a slapper at all, though I'm kinda getting interested now. Either way, the SR can get anything from a clanky Fieldy tone (not that I'd want one :p ) to a nice deep rumble. The EDA has a nice fat tone too, but IMO the SR is smoother. I love the look of natural mahogany, even though this particular bass is made out of some dark mahogany :meh: The magnetic does sound like a P, but it's still a bit muddy. Hmm, I think I'm rambling... :p Let's just say that they're both versatile basses but I like the SR's package better. :)
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I hear you about no zing and harshness. I've owned an SR400, SRX705, and an EDA905. I vote for the EDA. Flats are almost a necessity on that bass though. One of the few basses that will still cut through great with flats. Try TI jazz flats.

I found with rounds/halfrounds there was always too much harshness/zing for my taste. But when I put flats on it was smooth as butter. My EDA had rounds on it for 6-8 months and truthfully I was starting to hate the bass. The I put some flats on it and fell in love with it. :bassist:

I know you've probably bought the SR500 by now but I really think you're making a mistake.

(the new EDA colors rule!!!! the old colors were gay)
  10. I didn't see this thread until just now.

I own an EDA905 fretless, and I love the thing. True, the EQ is strange, but if you sit down with it, you can get some nice tones out of it. I first played an EDA905 about 3 years ago, and honestly didn't quite know what to make of it; it didn't impress me, but I didn't dislike it. Then, about a year ago, I was looking for an unlined fretless bass for under $1,000, and one of the only basses that fit the bill was the EDA905F. So, this bass came to be mine on a purely pragmatic level.

After playing it for nearly a year I have to say that this bass has really grown on me. The comfort aspect of this instrument speaks for itself. I play my EDA, and it feels like it's part of me; I play any other of my basses, and I realize they're nowhere nearly as comfortable to play as the EDA.

As for the sound, it's hard to put it in a box, but it does sound a little like a P- bass, but not as percussive, and noticeably darker...
    Until you mix in the piezo.

The piezos are what set this bass apart, I think. Among the other tweakable controls on this bass, it's got a piezo level pot on the back of the bass; it's made to be set-and-forget. Ibanez recommends setting the pot so that when the piezos are on full (they have their own volume knob on the front) the magnetic pup and the piezos will be at approximately the same level. My advice: DO NOT DO THIS !!!

I've found that when you leave the piezo level pot at maximum, the bass has MUCH more growl and sensitivity than if you match the piezos output to that of the magnetic pup. The piezos have noticeably more output than the magnetic pup. Starting with the magnetic pup at 10, and slowly adding in more and more of the piezos enables you to really custom design the tone of this bass to the music you're playing.

Also, by experimenting with the piezos separate tone knob you can further stretch the limits of this bass' tonal offerings.

It is a very versatile bass tone wise. It's just a shame that the combination of its odd EQ and bright sounding luthite body frustrates most people before they can find a tone they really like.

As you can tell, I really like everything about this bass, and I came to own one almost by accident.

I've never played the SRX500, so I can't comment on it.

If anyone wants more info, or EQ settings on the EDA, just PM me.

11. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, I got the SR500, but I still have until this monday to make up my mind. Personally, I like it: it looks great, it's light, versatile, very easy to play, and just different than my BTB.