Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Time

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Dec 8, 2003.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Hey all... 'Tis the season for getting rid of a Crapatino, so I'm getting a new bass in the next couple of weeks. I've been doing research in preparation, and am pretty psyched about everything. The shop and its owner that I'm buying from has a good reputation, and one of the luthiers working there as an assistant used to work in Gage's shop as well, though his name escapes me at the moment. Anyway, here are the basses I'm considering in my price range, and barring the obvious subjective points of price vs. sound, etc., what is everyones' general impression of these selections?

Sam Shen SB100
    Howard Core K-61laminated
    Howard Core K-64 Hybrid (carved top)
    Euro Basic laminated
    Lidl (Czech made) laminated

I'm leaning heavily toward the Shen, based on what everyone here has said about them in the past, but the others look good as well from what I've been able to read about them. Any feedback from the crew here would be great.

Thanks!

2. I played one of the Howard Core laminated basses (not sure of the number) this summer while visiting Paul Warburton. It seemed like a lot of bass for the money. Perhaps Paul will chime in with more details and his opinion.

3. I have this Kohr laminated bass. Apparently Howard Core wants us to think he's German. Anyway, that's how it's spelled on the label. I love this bass. 100% laminate, real carved scroll, real inlaid purfling coming up the round back, culminating in that curly-cue design so common on German and Czech basses. I don't have the bass here right now, so I can't tell you the string length. 3/4 and probably in the 40-41" range. Excellent, rounded ebony fingerboard, good quality adjustable bridge with black painted metal adjusters. Ebonized tailpiece (painted black pear wood probably) Extra nice quality brass collared end-pin w/ removable screw off crutch tip revealing a sharp hardened metal tip. This is the third one of these i've had including a real cute 1/2 size I bought for my grandson. The strings must be Chinese, but for my money are the best combination arco/pizz string i've ever played! The only bummer is that sprayed on obnoxious shine you can see your face in!
    These basses bear a striking resemblance to pictures of Christophers i've seen, and at one time I thought it was a Chris.
    A music store here in Denver is asking $1700 for these. I'm asking $1500 for mine.

4. Paul,
    You mention nothing about the sound or response. Any comments?

5. Sound? Response? You mean you can play these things?
    I just assumed by comparing this bass to a Christopher, and all the glowing things that have been written about those basses on this site that everyone would know. But, you're right. When I said I love this bass, I meant that in terms of playing, not in terms of the set up and stuff.
    Both of the 3/4 basses by Core were almost identical. The sound is very open for a laminate, not bearing hardly any resemblance to Englehardt or Kay. Pretty damn loud and very responsive, arco and pizz. Like any bass, they need a fairly good fingerboard dressing and sound post adjustment before performing.
    Again, all the great stuff said about Christophers, apply to this bass. Theses axes also sound good amplified with an underwood pick- up, run through a 12" Polytone amp.