New Bass Time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCB97, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Fender

99 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Squier

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Sire

32 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. MCB97

MCB97

Dec 21, 2018
    It that time of year again where I usually sell my current bass and buy myself a lovely shiny new one. (I get bored of guitars easily). Currently stuck for choice and I live a long hour drive to the closest guitar store. Does anyone have an experience with:
    v7_4st_ash_nt.png

Squier Contemporary Active HH Jazz Bass
    download (1).jpg
    Fender Vintera 70's Jazz Bass
    download.jpg
    Sire Marcus Miller v7 series 2
    v7_4st_ash_nt.png

JRA likes this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i have '0' experience with owning any of them, but: they all look competent --- like a player should! others will chime in with their own experiences/preferences so you'll get more advise/opinions than you need!

i guess you're not one to view your ax as 'family'! :laugh: (humor from another thread, sorry!)

good luck with your choice(s)! :thumbsup:

MCB97 likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sire, and I'm not even a fan, but the new Squiers just don't do it for me.
    I'd definitely go with this color, though. cf-1.jpg

lazarusdoom, sabre79 and MCB97 like this.
  4. MCB97

MCB97

Dec 21, 2018
    Looks pretty sexy that bass. Looks pretty much like the Jazz bass setup but in a p bass body. Cheer for letting me know!

5. I have played the Vintera 70’s bass, and it is wonderful, if that’s what you are going for. Also a few hundred more than the Sire.
    The Squier Contemporary looked like a great idea on paper, but I think it has mostly flopped. A few members bout them, and QC seems pretty bad. I have yet to see one in a store to try.

I personally would get the Vintera, but the Sire is a close 2nd (only because I seem to be going all passive these days)

MCB97 likes this.
  6. MCB97

MCB97

Dec 21, 2018

7. MCB97

MCB97

Dec 21, 2018
    Whoops don't know what I managed to do there!

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're welcome.
    Very classy color. Reminds me of the limited edition Fender Opal Jazz bass.
    The Jazz bass is available in blonde, too.
    Screenshot-20191115-114525-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    MCB97 likes this.
  9. MCB97

MCB97

Dec 21, 2018
    This was my worry with the Squier, my heart says that as it's cheap and pretty, but if I'm not going to enjoy using it what's the point? Fender is probably the best option but like you said little more than the others. If only I had a budget that would fit American made fenders then my choice wot be simple! :D

10. Get that Vintera, oil the board, and add tort!

MCB97 likes this.
  11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    Detroit
    No experience with any of them, but I voted Squier because Carrots wasn't an option.

OldPlucker likes this.
  12. MCB97

MCB97

Dec 21, 2018
    Would you vote carrots if I added it?

OldPlucker likes this.
  13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    Detroit
    I would!

Wisebass likes this.
  14. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have experience with the Squier and the Sire. Sire wins hands down. No contest. I would take a look at the P7 which someone posted a pic in white. Kind of the best of all worlds.

MCB97 likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say V7 or Vintera Seventies Jazz.

16. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I found a used Sire like that one at a GC a while ago and decided to bring it home to try it. Very nice bang for the buck - in fact, I sort of wish these were around when I was getting started with my bass playing. Nice build, lots of flexibility (active/passive), decent tones.

I was on the lookout at the time for a lighter alternative to my very hefty passive Jazz - too heavy at 10.5 lbs. for me to use at a long gig. I'm okay with the more narrow width of a typical Jazz neck, but I also like to have a little meat under the fretboard - some depth or "substance" compared with a narrow and shallow profile, which doesn't fit my hand so well.

The Sire that I brought home turned out to also be heavier than I wanted in an alternative to my old bass. After playing the Sire for a couple hours over several days, I also found that the profile of the neck wasn't a good fit for me either - a combo of narrow and also too shallow for me. So I returned the bass no problemo and was happy that I got to have some time with it.

I can easily give the Sire a thumbs up, but that's only as long as the weight and the neck profile are okay for you.

MCB97 likes this.
  17. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I own the Vintera 70’s as well as a 60’s. They are my only non-US Jazzes. Both are great Basses. I will caveat that by saying I replaced the necks on both with Fender American Performer Jazz necks but that was a personal feel preference.

I’ve tried the Sires and personally there’s just too much going on with the 55 knobs for me to fiddle with. If they offered a passive standard style Jazz I would hesitate to buy one as the look and feel is great and the build is very nice.

MCB97 likes this.
  18. Gad Zooks

Gad Zooks

Mar 29, 2019
    Bilbao, Spain
    Tried a 60s Vintera the other day. Cool bass. Played great, was set-up well and had a pretty slim comfortable neck. Strangely enough, I preferred it to the American Pro.

MCB97 likes this.
  19. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    I have no experience with the particular Squier model you mentioned, however recently produced Squiers still very far away from the early CV series.

I couldnt like Sire basses, havent owned one but tried lots of them at the shops. I am not a fan of active basses by the way. I dont think they use a quality preamp on them.

I would go with the Vintera 70s, if it doesnt have any flaws on the neck.

MCB97 likes this.
  20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I own two of the original Squier Contemporary strats - the FujiGen instruments from the 1980s. My brother's got the Fender counterpart, same production run.

Fender blew it with the new ones. A HUGE part of the aesthetic was that those instruments are not supposed to have pickguards!

Would have bit on one otherwise. The 80s Fender Contemporary series Jazz basses are super-rare, unlike the "Jazz Bass Special" which is really a Precision with the wrong name.

MCB97 likes this.