1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass time.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jobiebass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Hey,
    Been playing for 2 years now on some crappy P-Bass replica thing, So I went out and bought myself a Mex Fretless Jazz and few months ago, Beautiful thing and I love playing it, but I want a new Fretted bass.

thought id stick with that I know and get a USA Jazz Delux, the pick ups are where I want them and im used to playing a Jazz now, but its going to be a similer to what I already have i think, so I started looking else where, Spotted the Musicman Stingray and im seriously considering getting one of those instead.

I play indy/rock kinda stuff like Chilli's, GnR, Arctic Monkeys, Play using 180 ashford blue 15" thing and a Zoom B2.1u pedal.

Which do I go for? Jazz where im used to playing on the pickup closest to the neck, or go diffrent and get a Stingray where I might find it hard to get used top playing closer to the bridge???

These 2 are pretty popular basses so im sure someone could tell me the pro's and cons. also, do I go for the 2eq or 3eq Stingray? is there much diffrence except £100 ($200) in the price???

2. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    I'd go with the ray. Those things are a bit more few and far between over here in the UK. Also, the EQ if you like mids, get the 3 band, however you will lose no punch whatsoever should you go with the two band eq.

Though, if i were in your position I would be more inclined for a new amp? is it the tone and quality of the actual bass you're looking for? or something else?

3. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Just to add to this, Im not getting rid of my fretless..

And i hear the tone is much better on the Stingray.

4. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Ive just bought that amp about 3 weeks ago, been playing on a crappy 15wat thing for the last 2 years and now I have a half decent amp for practicing at home I really notice the tone changes in things now where its practically impossible on the tiny practice amp,

Just looking for something that will sound really nice, play without loads of fret buzz, kinda punchy and clear.

5. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    I've had little experience with the Am, DLX. fender line, though to me the American standard and Stingray are comparable, and for me the Stingray wins hands down.

If it were me choosing, i would take the stingray with the 3 band EQ, cause im picking about my mids. Atm my main bass is a spector Euro Dlx. with EMG pups, and the Tinepump preamp, the preamp of which is shockingly bad. So I'll be switching that out for a 3 band cut and boost. as opposed to just boost.

there's probably a little more versatility in the Jazz, extra pup etc. However, if you;re used to and like the thin neck of a jazz, the neck on the Ray is FAT. PLay them both, they're probably on a par generally build quality wise. see what happens.

6. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Im working down in Brum at the moment and cant find one decent guitar shop, walked into one in the city center and said I wanted a delux or Stingray and all they had was cheep versions of them, but 5000 guitars. played the cheaper stingray and the neck feels fine, im guessing it will be the same size as a propper Stingray.

Ive been lead to believe the Stingray has a better tonal range then the Jazz?? I just want something a little diffrent, something I can really work with tonal wise, its all a bit new to me after only using a 15wat thing up till a month or so ago. so Im pretty much a noob when it comes to knowing what the hell to do with treb/mid/bass, hell i only figured out that my jazz knobs were for each pickup a month ago. i have no asperations to go anywhere with my bass, im quite happy having little jams with my mates, I live out of hotels thru the week so I get plenty of time to sit and practice, but on the weekend it'd be nice to get on my bigger amp and make the song ive learnt/made sound much better.

7. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    When you say cheap stingray? do you mean OLP, cause the necks i think are different. many people claim the Ray is a one trick pony, this is not so. By adjusting hand positioning technique etc you can get just as many tones as the jazz.

I just find the Jazz's are easier to manipulate tonally due to the extra pup.

yes in the UK it sucks for music shops, at my local place called soundcontrol, there are in excess of 200-300 guitars and less than 20 basses. lucky they had the one i want.

8. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    yeah OLP ones, bahh, Im sure my local guitar shop in doncaster "electro music" has them, they have a massive bass section, but its finding time on the weekend to get down there. I suppose ill have to play and find out. I just wanted to get opinions of people online then just taking the guy who runs the shop's advice, hell, he sold me a fretless when I said I wouldnt mind learning slap. lol, but I gotta give him credit, that shop is awesome and helped me out so much in the past and ill always buy all my stuff from there.