New Bass Today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stefeb, Jun 25, 2002.

1. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Got a Cort Curbow bass today. After reading some posts, decided it would be a good entry level bass for me. Called Curbow, and got to speak to Greg Curbow. He told me he had a prototype in satin red, made for the NAMN show. I had him upgrade the electronics with the "All American Bartolini Pre-Amp and Pickup".

It came today, and sounds great. These pictures don't do justice to the satin finish.

2. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    looks quite good i must say, even though i dont like corts 2 much...
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think I remember that one in the shop. The Bart setup is definitely the way to go.

Enjoy it!
  4. That is a beautiful bass. Even though I perfer natural wood finishes, I think I'd take that one. :D Hmmm, my stomach feels funny, maybe it's just GAS.....
  5. Amazing looking bass, it looks as though it was painted! That satin finish is beautiful, and they don't sound half bad either!
  6. It looks 'cartoon-ish' in those photos. Like someone painted on the photo.

I really like it! Is a fretless bass really a bass to start out on though? Didn't I read something like that in your post?

Congrats - it really is nice looking.
  7. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Looks very nice. Congrats on the new fretless!
  8. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Actually, it's not as hard as I thought it would be. At first I was checking my notes with the electronic tuner, then I just started to go over my lessons, and when I was not "right on" it was very obvious. Not that I've got the fretless down pat or anything, but I've always been very careful of my left hand placement, and so far so good.

It definetly has a different feel. Seems more intimate in a way. Hard to describe, but I like it a lot (fretless, that is).
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    (Darth Vader voice: ON)

Welcome to the Dark Side...

(Darth Vader voice: OFF)

Scha-weet lookin' bass!
  10. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey man congratulations on the new bass. I also own a Curbow but before they decided to change the pickups and electronics to Bartolini's. I hate them so much...:D

I see you're from Bethlehem. I live in Emmaus which is right next to Allentown. I just think its cool to find someone on TalkBass around me.
  11. how can it be a cort if u got it from greg curbow???
    sorry, i'm just picking :p

Looks nice, not keen on the finish, but i like the curbow shape, and i bet it sounds wickid with bartolini's

12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like the color a lot! I nearly got a Curbow a while back...infact I went up to Bass Central to try the MTD Kingston...I ended up with the K5, but those Curbows aren't a slouch by any means.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Greg actually sells the Cort copies from his shop in Morganton, too. And, he also does electronics upgrades on them for an extra couple hundred dollars. You also get the added benefit of having him set it up and making sure it is a quality piece.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an ad, but if you are going to get one, might as well get it from the man himself.
  14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Looks nice! Congrats. Enjoy your new bass.

So ya gonna make this pic your avatar to go under your name or what? I wanna see what this supporting member stuff'll do for ya.
  16. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Done. Great idea. :D
  18. lessthanpunk

May 6, 2002
    that looks really fake... look at the shadows, and the edge of the

am i imagining things?
  19. Looking forward on seeing that stuff on NAMM in January ! :D

Yes people.. you read it correctly.. the **** has hit the fan ! AllodoX is coming to America in January !
  20. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    The shadows are a result of my poor photographic skills.

The bass was placed nearby a window with the sun shining in. I used a flash to compensate for the sun's backlighting, ergo, the shadow.

It's trick photography....honest. :)