New Bass Transport lust

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Monte, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I've never been a fan of buying new cars (I always buy high quality used foriegn cars), but I'm seriously considering the new Mazda 5 .

My 1994 Mazda pickup that is our second vehicle has been great, but it has been involved in too many parking accidents and is becoming an embarassment to drive for my wife (I take the Volvo to gigs).

Anyone test driven one?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Mazda's are pretty zippy. I haven't driven the 5, but I have the 3 (sedan and 5 door) and the 6 (hatchback sedan).

The thing I like about the 3 is the mileage; the hatchback is handy, it's easy to park and still handles like a sport model.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Pretty bulletproof, too, IME. I had an old one that I bought for a grand, four doors plus a hatch. Never whimpered even once, I drove it to 230k and sold it, still running like a Swiss watch. That was a great bass mover.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I like the dual sliding rear doors and all of the hidden storage compartments.
  5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    157hp 2.4, probably not the best mileage.

I have a 2000 Focus Wagon now, but am planning on replacing it with a Toyota Matrix when the oldest child reaches 16, just 2 more months.

I rented one the other weekend when the Focus was in the shop. I can get the bass, stool, myself and 2 passengers all in at once. 30mpg city, 36 highway. Lower total ownership cost than the Focus or Mazda 3.
  6. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I picked up a 2004 Mazda 6 Sports wagon. The 225 hp V6 and 5 speed automatic / manual combo transmission is a blast to drive. While my Volvo V70 is my main bass hauler, this one is really nice for that function.

For one, the release to lay down the 60/40 seats can be reached from the back and lay flat with a simple flip of the handle. No need to do anything with the head rest or bottom part of the seat or walk around to each side like the Volvo. Tons of room too. Fit my wife, big 4/4 bass, and a PA system with no problem.

I drove several things in this class, but nothing was as fun to drive. The only negative I could see would be if you were really tall, the seat may sit too low.