Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass under construction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bowen, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Bowen

Bowen

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland OR
    I decided that I need a 35" scale 4 string, so I started digging through the wood pile.
    Here's what I've landed on:
    Body: Black limba, padauk, purpleheart.
    Neck: QS Jatoba, purpleheart fingerboard
    MM type humbucker

Black Limba is by far my favorite wood to work, and it sounds good too.

Here is the body currently.

Attached Files:

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I wish I had the same wood pile :hyper:

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I'd hit it.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm looking forward to final picture. It sounds interesting. Post intermediate picutres throughout the build.

5. And just how do you come across a wood pile featuring species such as those??

-ryan-

6. Bowen

Bowen

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland OR
    I will post pics as I build. It should be pretty quick, if I can get parts. I hope to have this ready for finish in a week.
    I'm going to grain fill with CA and use tru-oil, something I've never tried.

I'm really lucky that I have a great hardwoods store nearby that usually has a good selection (and really cheap too), and I usually buy twice the amount of wood that I need, just in case I screw something up.

This is the first time I've tried jatoba. I've found it to be really strong and stiff, pretty hard to plane, and smells horrible, almost like a well used litter box. It finishes beautifully though.