Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass update (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikkel-S, May 19, 2003.

1. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I've just bought the most funky bass in the universe! A late 80's Warwick Thumb! in gloss ferari red!...with EMG's...It sound soo good and smooth!

I'm in love..

And I like to post pics but I dont know how to do it!:confused:

2. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Great my pic worked!

And the head

3. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    So...anyone else have a 80's warwick..
    It's simply stunning craftsmanship! I dont like the new warwicks but this one just sings...

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Pretty.

I have never played an older Warwick, and the newer ones don't do it for me (neck feels REALLY fat to me, like a baseball bat :)). But yours looks great!

Congratz!

Don

:bassist:

5. I have several 1990 Warwicks which are the same level of craftsmanship... Dolphin Pro I, Streamer (Stage II) and Thumb. I've played MANY Warwicks but these old instruments are indeed simply the finest. It looks like you've found a keeper!

6. that is my favorite thumb. I have never seen a thumb like that. nice score!

7. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    VERY nice! I too had a Thumb 5, Stage II 5 and Stage I 5 from 1990. Just incredible craftsmanship. And of course they sounded awesome.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The text on the Truss-rod cover looks funny.

9. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have ma 1990 thumb and its far better than the newer ones. great score on the paint job, look wicked.

10. if you want the pic to show up in the original post without people having to open the link...

post like you did, then open up your own link. copy the address from your web browser then close down the link. click the 'edit' function in the top bar of your post, then click the 'img' button in the field above... paste the address in the field it gives you, hit ok. then save the changes.

anything i missed?

it should work!
    [​IMG]

11. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Hi!
    It's indeed a keeper I've found here and it was pretty cheap 6500 dkr = almost 1000$...Good price, I think...

By the way feel free to post pics of your Warwick Thumbs..!

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    What is the Serial Number on that?

I bet it's from the custom shop. Warwick could probably give you the low-down on it.

13. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I cant find the serial number anywhere...Is that bad?

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    that's really cool! I've always fancied the woodyness of the later ones though.....but its neat to see something different.

15. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Thank you!

There is no serial number on my bass...So does that mean it's a prototype...or am I completely lost..?:confused:

16. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Check the top of the headstock. My basses from 1990 had them on the top. I believe the later ones had them on the back.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If I were you, I'd try to get hold of someone from Warwick and find out what you can about this bass.

When I saw the way "Thumb Bass" was scrolled into the truss-rod cover, I got suspicious. But, the cover could have been a replacement.

Also, the p'ups don't look angled enough. But, those are EMG, not MEC's so I might be looking for something.

[​IMG]

Here's one with SD Basslines:
    [​IMG]

I could be way off bass and scaring you for no reason, but I would be a little worried if I had no serial #. They do have a custom shop, but I'd figure there's still a serial number on each.

There have been a number of cheap manufacturers who've made copies. But, your bridge, nut, hardware, all look legit. That text looks like someone scibed that in with a debosser.

[​IMG]

18. Just an FYI that the scrolled Thumb Bass text on the trussrod cover and the different screw positions are correct for instruments of this vintage. Lack of serial number is common on prototype or custom-colour basses.

19. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I am very sure that it's not a copy, On the backplate to the electronic cavity it says "Hand made in West Germany".

Anyway thanks for the info guys, and just keep it coming...

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, my 1990 Thumb 5 has the same text. While we're posting pics of our warwicks... :D

[​IMG]