Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass!!! VJ4 with J-Retro!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Jan 25, 2003.

1. I picked up a Modulus VJ4 during the Christmas break and finally got some pictures to share.

This bass is amazing. I really dig the tortoise shell/sunburst color scheme. With the J-retro preamp I installed I can get that "Marcus" tone that I was missing on my Stingray.

A comment on the J-retro; I would recommend this to anyone looking to "activate" their jazz bass. The bass boost is _tremendous_ and the sweepable mids allows an insane variety of sounds.

2. Another one...

3. Here's a little groove I recorded.

The quality has much to be desired, as I recorded straight bass into the soundcard. Aside from that, I think that the sonic qualities of the preamp can be heard.

4. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    just wondering:about how long have you been playing?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice bass. I'm a suckker fore a Jazz. I'lk DLing the song now. Thank goodness it's only 13 seconds long. :)

Very nice audio clip. Not as bad sounding as you implied!!!!

6. Arose - I've been playing for probably 5 years.

7. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    thanks im just trying to compare how i sound to other people who play, i live in a small town so there is no comparison

8. Sweet groove. I like it. I've had my eye on a VJ4 at a local shop for awhile. I think it's passive. I should be able to get a deal on it. It's been hanging there for a couple years. Hmmm...

9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Sweet Bass! I also have a VJ4 and I believe it is probably the best Jazz Bass out there for the $. I plan on playing mine for many years to come. Congrats!