new bass! wahoo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    just picked up my sr800. it sounds and looks great, and it's light as a guitar! :p anyway i love this thing. anyone have any hints on how to keep it in great shape for a long time? should i keep it in the case or on a stand? do i need a humidifier for my room in the winter, etc?
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I usually try to keep my basses in their cases most of the time. Less chance of em getting knocked over accidentally and stuff.

As to the humidifier, if the air is extremely dry where you are in the winter like it is here, it might not be a bad idea. The only reason I say this is because of the Charvel bass that I had years ago. The rosewood fretboard started to detach from the maple neck from the nut to between the first and second fret. When I took it in to get it repaired, the tech told me that he has seen that happen before, and that the most probable cause was the rosewood got too dry, resulting in it slightly shrinking, thus causing it to start detaching from the maple that it was glued too.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, I am just going by what the tech told me.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Clean your hands without fail before you play.

Don't eat while you're practicing.

Wipe down your instrument, especially the strings, neck and fingerboard with a soft, clean, cloth, (softer than a t-shirt), before you put it back in its case.

Shirt buttons and belt buckles do nasty things to the finish.

Unless the bass has a tung oil finish, the fretboard is the only section that usually suffers from dry, warm air. Wiping on a little lemon oil, (REAL, PURE, lemon oil, not that crap in the grocery stores) twice a year keeps the fretboard nice. Wipe off any excess.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have an SR800LE, it's currently posing as my main bass... Just a hint at some good onboard EQ settings... Crank your bass all the way, turn your highs up a little, leave both pickups on... It gets this slightly overdriven sound, but stays really clean.
  5. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Don't let kids touch it. One of them at my church knocked a chip out of the finish. And I let *no one* get near my Rick Turner. Sorry.

Trust me, folks you know will be "really sorry" if they damage your bass, but they won't buy you a new one.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Spill beer on it, drop it a few times, knock it off the stand once and bump it into a brick wall!!! That's what I've done to my SR 885 over the last 9 years and it still plays great! (When I play it)
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    playing well and sounding well are different. ;)
  8. wanna bet ? :D
    i can be REAL pursuasive :D MUAHAHAHAHA !!!! ( Evil, sadistic laughter )

Anyway.. i keep my EDC in it's case whenever i don't play it..
    less change on dust.. Dust + any electric device = :(

whipe your strings with a fresh towel after playing. your fingers are really fatty, even though they appear to be dry.

keep your bass clean.

don't leave the knobs in the same position forever.

if you do those things, i guarantee you'll enjoy your bass for a long time.