Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAW, Aug 13, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Hello everyone,
    Some background info first:
    I've been playing for about 4 months. I currently own an Ibanez gsr200 and am starting to get annoyed with it. Too much buzz no matter what I do. A pain in the ass. So I am looking into purchasing a new bass.
    I don't slap or pop. The closest I get is Flea style finger slapping once in a while(ala The Mars Volta's first cd). No pick either. Just regular old school fingerstyle.
    What I want: I like the spector body style, also the warwick corvette body style. the Schecters also pique my interest. I'm trying to get a nice mellow tone, not too treble-y but not too muddy either.

Is there anyone who can suggest something in the $500-800 range that would suit me?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

"Bury me with all my stuff...because you know that it is mine."
    -Master Shake

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Have you thought of getting the bass set up? I'd bring it to a store before buying a new bass cause of buzzing.

But you can grab a decent Fender for about that. I got a new Standard Fretless Jazz for 699 Canadian.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    First thing you should look at is a fresh set of string and a professional setup. You'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

Next, in the 5-800 range you can get a huge range of great basses if you buy them used (just keep an eye on the classifieds here). In that price range this year alone I've bought a '78 P bass, a Hamer USA Cruisebass, and for an Extra $100 a Zon Sonus 5/2 that KILLS! I like all those basses as much as any I've had. I also sold a Fender MIA P-bass at the bottom of that price range, and that was an incredibly solid bass (the '78 replaced it). You can find some Warwick and Spector models in that price range if you are patient.

On the other hand, you can take your $800 to a music shop and get a bass of questionable quality whose value will depreciate by 40% when you walk out the door. :scowl:

If you do buy a bass, still make sure to get a pro setup on it.

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    +1

Get a professional set up with a good set of flats (TI Jazz Flats maybe?). That will take care of most of your tone problems if you've got a decent bass.*

*Decent bass - good wood, varies from bass to bass and is a quality control issue.

If you're really set on a new bass, do some research and find out what kind of sound you're after (how close is it to the Jazz and Precision sounds?).

Personally, I think a Precision or Jazz will fit you nicely. A Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (MIJ) by Fender would be a good idea, as is a used MIA bass. As always with Fender, try before you buy - you might just find a golden MIM.

5. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    I am in the process of getting a pro to set it up for me. Just have not gotten around to it. Also the TI's were going to be my next purchase. Maybe that will help the all around feel I get from it.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I would reccomend against flats. They are a "specialty" string, for really old school sounds I doubt you are going for (you just mentioned Flea). Just get a basic nickel roundwound, those TI flats are a very expensive experiment.

If you really want flats: I never liked the TIs (too low tension), and greatly prefer the lakland or sadowsky flats.

7. +1 You have to tell us this:

Do you really dislike your bass? :eyebrow: , or are you just GAS-ing for a new axe! :bassist: I've been there! Sometimes if you've got a bad GAS for new, it's hard to fix up the old...

If you like your present bass, other than the noise...then try to get it set up, first. Should cost a lot less than looking for new. After that, if you still are not happy, then take the $$$ and go play a bunch of the ones suggested here and pick your favorite!

Good luck and have fun! :D

8. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I'm practicing on an Ibanez GSR190 right now. It is one of four student model basses I keep in my band room. Of the four (2 Samicks, 1 Fender), the Ibanez has been the least trouble. That says a lot when the basses are being handled by middle schoolers. I agree with the idea to have it set up. If, however, you really want a new one ... send the old one to my school. I have students who need one. MY