new bass wanted..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squice, May 13, 2003.

1. I´m searching out for a new bass. I haven´t got the chance too tryout everything. But it will be somewhere in the 1500/2000$ range. I want a 5 string bass. And what i want to look into is like, MM stingray 5, Lakland(just becouse thats something that i can tryout before i buy..), Fender Marcus miller sign... but the ultimade dream would be Shadowsky 24fret 5-string ´59burst with maple fingerboard. So the deal is.. I haven´t got a clue what the price on the marcus m. sign is. is´t on this price range? And is´t possible to find a used sadowsky in this price range? or is´t possible at all to find a used sadowsky? So i need to know is what is the real difference between these basses?

i play Rock/Jazz/funk slapp. so i´m looking for a bass that could get me through alot of different playing, can´t afford to buy 3 basses to cover it all up.

My best regards..

2. Used Sadowsky's can be found on US ebay - but then you need to go and import them!

NOt too sure about your other options though, I've only played a MM Stingray once! It was OK!

If possible I would suggest you consider Spector - the European series (NS5CRFM model) as a posibility! I've had 2 of these (still have one) and I believe it is the best all round bass that I have!

Good luck in your hunt!:)

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have seen used Sadowskys in the London bass shops - both the Bass Centre and the Gallery have had used Sadowskys in the past 3-4 years.

I remember them mostly as 4-strings and at just under £2,000 - this is about $3200 at current rates or about 2,800 Euros.

I ended up buying my pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5, as it was cheaper and I preferred a 5 -string - but at the same time the Bass Centre had quite a few high-end basses , including Sadowsky - the best I tried was a Ken Smith - but this was more than twice the price I paid!!

I would suggest a short break to London (lots of cheap flights at the moment) - you could try lots of high-end basses and take one back with you on the plane!! :)

There's nothing like walking out with the security of knowing you have the best bass for the money, having tried loads of alternatives!!

5. Bruce makes a very compelling argument for a trip to London!!!:)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In this case - the price of the flight is probably going to be the same or less than you would pay in customs duty and VAT on a bass shipped from the US! ;)

7. You can buy a lot of bass for that kind of money. Finding that exact Sadowsky for that kind of money may be next to impossible, but you never know. Used USA Laklands 5594's, New Skyline 5502's and New StingRay5's can be easily had for that kind of money. Of the basses mentioned, I own a SR5 and a 5502, and I've played a few Sadowsky 5 string basses. To me the Sadowsky is like a super Fender. Roger can pull off a 5 string Jazz sound better than Fender can. The materials and workmanship is as good as it gets. The SR5 is a whole different sound and vibe. When I play it in a dance club people move and are more motivated by its sound than by anyother bass. The Lakland is kinda of a one bass does all type of instrument. 35" scale with a huge B string. Bart pups and pre-amp. Tons of tone options. I like it best for studio work. The Sadowsky/Fender Jazz vibe just isn't my cup of tea. But, if I had the GAS for one the way I think you do, I wouldn't settle for anything less.

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Keep me informed as how the Fender Miller 5 sounds if you get to try it! The Fender Artist Beck V has a solid B string too

9. I haven't seen anything on the "Fender Miller 5" are they making one? I had a Fender Roscoe Beck that I played on and off for 3 yrs. I loved it and hated it all at the same time. It was absolutely the best sounding passive 5 I've ever played. Tons of different tones and very even response. The worst neck I've played. Too thick and wide with a sticky varnished finish on the back. Great bass, I just couldn't live with the neck. I ended up trading it for the 5502 I play now.