1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass!! Warwick "Double Buck"...VERY Happy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by realdeal, Aug 20, 2007.

1. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Things have been going real well musically/financially, and of course when I get those nice payouts for gigs, I put the money into a long-term CD and....
    HA!
    NOT!
    I'm....creative; a free-spirit....(financially irresponsible) so
    I bought a new bass, No. 5 in my arsenal of fretted fours, 'cause that's what I do....

I've always been intrigued by Warwicks, and I know they are a love/hate instrument.
    I LOVE mine!

Nirvana Black Double Buck fretted four-
    Man- these are nice basses.
    Feel what you may about the MEC electronics, this bass has tone, headroom, and is tight.
    There is no doubt about the quality build- The combination of Ovangkol and Wenge on the neck and 'board can be heard and felt. great character, great sound, it's all there in this instrument- A very clean attack with a distinct growl.
    Now I know some have hard feelings about the Warwick neck shapes...
    I like it. I don't think of it as thick or like a "baseball bat" but rather as having a very flat radius that to me is comfortable, fast, and precise.
    I did not like the Warwick strings; changed them to one of my preferred XL gauge sets, in this case RotoSound Funkmasters, adjusted string height (nice hardware on these basses btw) and I'm off.
    The bass sounds phenomenal through my gear, just got done with a workout playing through my EA Wizzy M-Line, which I consider kind of a "reference" rig- What you play through the Wizzy is what you'll hear- All is well!
    Major happiness here, yeah, I know, no pix, later maybe, laptop issues make it a 2-step process, but trust me!:D

I own the instrument, and I am VERY happy to have a new bass in my stable... each one of my instruments has a distinct tone, feel, and character, far more enjoyable to me than money in the bank!

Well, just thought I'd let you know!:cool:

'Deal

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  3. pj4553

pj4553

Mar 11, 2007
    Corvette $$ kick A$$

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Cool...happy for you. I don't enjoy playing 'Wicks, but I like how they sound.

Also, Nirvana Black is one of my favorite finishes ever. I don't usually like black basses, but this and F-basses Trans Black are two exceptions. So I know it looks cool. Can't wait to see pics.

5. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    Hi Realdeal, I just picked up the exact same bass last week. $$, fretted 4, nirvana black. And very pleased I am with it!

:hyper:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very cool, I got mine in Ocean Blue. :cool:

I have a little *too* much fun tweaking all the knobs and switches that are available. It can be quite distracting when it comes time to practice. These days I just keep both pickups on full and do neck-series/bridge parallel or neck-parallel/bridge series. It's kind like switching back and forth between a sweet P/J and a Lakland-esque J/MM. (Without any hum!) I'm sure you'll find some combinations that you like.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    pics... ?

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I'm holding out for their "Triple-Buck".

9. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I'll get a pic up ASAP, but my digital camera sux, so do my photography skillz!!:D

But the $$'s... Somethin' else!
    Deep bass tones, very full and rich-
    The mids lay right in and the highs are very articulate.
    Warwick does a good job in putting woods and components together to get a distinct tone.
    This bass hangs with my ASAT in the "growl" department,
    and that is no small statement, considering 2 MFD's!!

And all the while this bass has it's own signature sound, along with a large variety of tones available within that sound, from the on-board eq as mentioned.

I'm really impressed with the whole package- Build quality, components, electronics, and the tight feel of the instrument-
    Yet there are 'Wick haters, strangely enough--- To each their own!

Originally, I set out to buy an Active Standard Bubinga Corvette that I had played and liked. But after getting a chance to play on the $$... Sold!
    It's light, ergonomic and feels good.
    The Colored oil finishes are super nice too; very unique- the swamp ash grain shows through the finish, in my case, an almost flat-black stain- Well done!
    I'll get the camera out and post-
    ...And you should HEAR this bass through my Trace-Elliot!

Wow!:eek:

10. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You shouldn't be surprised people hate them. You name a bass out there and somebody hates it, chances are a lot of people. Their body style and tone tend to be quite polarizing, as does the feel of the instrument itself. I don't see myself ever owning a 'Wick. I have never played one that I like the tone of except for a Corvette Standard 5. Even then, it was good, but not great for me. But, I appreciate and admire the bass as a nice instrument which can, in the right hands (i.e. not mine), have great tone. I am a sucker for Nirvana Black though.

Oh, and we don't give a crap about your photog skills, hurry up with the pics!!!! :p

11. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    Grats on the new bass! Always wanted to play a $$ but haven't had a chance to yet.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I played one in a Guitar Center a few months ago and it was one of those rare times I went "WHOA!!!!!" right away. I was really amazed at how much I liked how it sounded. I took a co-worker who also plays guitar and some bass with me and he had exactly the same reaction.

I was in there checking out Stingray 5 HH's because I had an opportunity to buy a used one at a nice price. But if I would have spent more time with the Warwick I might have made a very different decision. I have no real bass GAS right now, but I do think about a $$ every once in a while.

Congrats on your purchase. Can't wait to see the pictures!

13. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    LOL, Ok I'll post pics tomorrow, but I WARNED you!!:D

You are spot -on about "haters" no matter what the brand.
    If nothing else, TB has a... ummm.. wide range of opinions on gear.
    And I CAN understand why players wouldn't like Warwicks.
    The neck can be very off-putting if you're not feeling it, I imagine the ergonomics might bother some (mine feels GOOD tho-very balanced,etc.) and most of all, the distinct Warwick "sound"-
    A combination of the somewhat unusual tonewoods (Bubinga and Ovangkol bodies/necks, w/ wenge boards- not the usual Ash-Maple-Rosewood-Alder combinations ($$ is nice Swamp Ash); and the MEC electronics are a different breed than others, and so on.
    I can certainly see how these instruments won't float every bassist's boat...
    Works for me, though!:hyper:
    Pics coming...

'Deal

14. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    ...So even though my photography skillz are sorely lacking-

The $$ doesn't lack much as a Bass guitar IMO.

Note the XXL Roto FunkMasters (30-50-70-90) which many players would find spaghetti-like & insane!!!
    But not me!
    I've got a light touch and attack, and I can do wonderous things using these strings and that bass!

REALLY digging my new Warwick!
    :D

'Deal

15. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    tight!

16. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Wait! I was looking for the triple photo-buck-Wick.

17. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    ....You might wanna ask the Warwick Custom Shop about that and see what they tell you.....
    :confused:

:D

18. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    i played the streamer $$ last night, WOW best bass ive played since the warwick thumb, which i now own.

congrats man, if its anything like its brother, its gotta be fantastic.

19. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Same electronics/specs on the $$ Streamers & Corvettes;
    difference is of course the body shapes, and the Maple Neck/ gold hardware on the Streamer vs. Ovangkol Neck/Black hardware on the 'Vette.

They really are killer instruments.
    :cool:

20. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    one of the tings i LOVED about the streamer was the neck. the flamed maple looked so killer along with the gold hardware.