new bass: what kind ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amos, Nov 29, 2003.

1. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I currently own a 72 left fender mustang bass and I love it but I want something with a more modern sound and better tone control

but I love the lightweight and small neck of my mustang.

where might i found a short scale bass with active electronics? brands/types? any suggestions appreciated

2. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    my thoughts so far are
    american deluxe p-bass [v]
    american deluxe zone bass (this seems like a really cool bass that would fit my needs)

as far as regular basses I'm also looking at the peavey cirrus 4 and the mm stingray
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm a Lakland nut.

The Lakland 44-02, 55-02, 44-94, and 55-94 are hybrids between a Stingray and J. The 44-02 I've been playing in the music store sounds better than their American Jazz Bass and their Stingray. I can't understand why more people don't own Laks.

They're standard scale but are built standard with an Active Barolini 3-Band Active EQ with MM/J configuration pickup and Swamp Ash body with a Maple Neck. They're pretty light.

Edit: My new Lakland Skyline 44-02 should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday.
  4. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    i would say the peavey cirrus too.
  5. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I like the lakland but my complaint is their weight.

where would I find "Wal" basses to buy?
  6. Wal-Mart (hahahahahhaha:p)

I Think You Have To Order One
  7. NOT funny. You have been warned. (j/k) :eek:
  8. A Wal bass would not be the right choice for amos based on the original post. They are 34" scale, depending on the wood choice can be quite heavy and in general are very expensive. That's to say nothing of the wait to get one.