1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass what should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Ken Smith Burner 4-string bolt-on

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Lakland 5 string skyline

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Fender Geddy Lee

36 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. other

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    Got a couple choices,

I'm a jazz bass type of player, play mostly Metal, but have a part time gig in a blues band.

My choices are in the poll....

2. Of the Fenders, I don't really like the Geddy so much. I think my fave ids the '62 RI Jazz.

I have a Lakland 55-02, which is a great axe. However, I can't recommend paying the extra $200 or so for the deluxe version, as the tops are really hit-or-miss. The top on mine is a POS.

But if you can live without a fancy top, the Lakland's definitely a good choice.

3. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    If you are a jazz bass type of player (I guess this is because of the neck thickness?) and you play metal and blues - I would suggest a MusicMan Sterling. I've had my eyes on that one for a long time, but haven't been able to try it myself yet.
    But people here says that it sounds almost like a Stingray, and if thats the case, you'll be able to use that in your blues band, you will have a jazz-bass-like neck and you will cut through the mix (or mud:)) of you metal band.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I would get a limited edition first run Skyline Decade like this, (but it will have the revolutionary Chisonic humbuckers pickups with new preamp)

fullburg.jpg

5. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd get the Lakland out of those

The Geddy Lee is good, but it's not as good as the Lakland

6. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    no love for the Ken Smith?

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not from me.;)

I voted for the Lakland. I'm not a fan of the Fender Geddy Lee basses.

8. As a newbie to this forum, I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I've recently - 2 years ago - re-entered the music scene, and I suppose you could say I'm catching up on things. If this question is out of line (I think I've read the FAQs fairly thoroughly), please let me know.

I'm playing a Epiphone 4-string through a Fender M-80 Bass amp, like it well enough, but I want to expand my sound. I'm playing mostly "classic" rock, and I feel an 8-string is where I want to go. I've looked at a Dean Edge on-line at musiciansfriend.com; it gets (naturally??) good reviews, and the price seems right. I can't seem to find one locally, so I can't try it in person.

Has anyone here had any experience with Dean basses in general, and this model in particular? I've seen Fenders, Ibanez, Schecter, Yamaha, etc. discussed, but not Dean. What's up?

TIA,

Jeff

9. jamontap

jamontap Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Cartersville, GA
    I voted for the Smith. I have one for sale right now actually. It's a great bass. I'd keep it if it were a five string.

10. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
  11. Lakland 5 string basses are hard to beat. I have the 55-02 fretted and fretless basses. They are awesome. I had a Geddy Lee Jazz and didn't like it a bit.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The KS Burner. Very nice basses!

13. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    Modulus quantum basses are amazing for any style of music and the action can't be beat. Both jazz and metal require low action, fast basses.

14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    A Dingwall ABII. That would cover all your requirements (and much more) without breaking your bank account.

Other options (if you would like to spend less money) are:
    US Masters
    Carvin

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021